Tan shop mistaken for police HQ
FRANTIC callers have been trying to contact the police – and getting through to a tanning studio!New owners of a beauty salon in Stowmarket have been getting used to the worried tones of people wanting Suffolk Constabulary.
By James Fraser
FRANTIC callers have been trying to contact the police – and getting through to a tanning studio!
New owners of a beauty salon in Stowmarket have been getting used to the worried tones of people wanting Suffolk Constabulary.
Without the Stowmarket code, their phone number is identical to the police switchboard telephone number.
"We get calls all the time," said Portia Howe, 21, co-owner of Total Tan on Station Road East.
Only the Stowmarket code – 01449 – differentiates their hi-tech salon from Suffolk's finest main contact number.
- 1 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 2 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 3 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Two men steal pedal bike from outside Ipswich primary school
- 6 Final homes in 75-house development to go on sale
- 7 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 8 Ipswich business worry as customers rein back spending
- 9 Ipswich family celebrate their funny and likeable son with football match
- 10 Delays near Orwell Bridge after wheels of trailer carrying boat fall off
"We had a pub landlord call once who was worried that one of his customers had lost his mind and he didn't know what to do," she said.
"Another time some rang up to say that a strange bird had landed in their garden and they wanted someone to get rid of it.
"Sometimes they ring up and when they realise they've got a wrong number they just start chatting," added Ms Howe, who opened the salon with 32-year-old partner Dave Russell last month.
"It's a great way of reaching the public and telling them about us."
But have the boys in blue have been getting odd phone calls asking for all-over tans or, perhaps, a Madonna-style tooth gem?
"We are aware that some callers put through to us have misdialled," said a police spokeswoman.
"We've had reports of people calling us asking for a chiropodist in Stowmarket. I suppose the serious message is that people should check the number they are calling. If it is an emergency, however, they should call 999."
N The correct numbers to dial are 01473 613500 Suffolk Police Headquarters, 01449 613500 Total Tan.