Taste the first pints of new University of Suffolk beer at Ipswich Waterfront bar
- Credit: Archant
The University of Suffolk has teamed up with Coddenham brewers Calvors to produce a new beer called Suffolk Graduate.
Pints of the specially brewed ale, made to commemorate the launch of the university, will be pulled in a range of venues this summer.
Visitors to Cult Cafe on Ipswich Waterfront will become the first people to try the new beer on April 22, when a university open day is set to be held.
Vice chancellor Richard Lister said staff at the university are delighted to be working with Calvors, who use traditional methods when brewing their beer.
“Much of their story, ambitions and values mirrors that of ours,” he said.
“A range of activities and events have already taken place to mark our Year of Celebration so this was just another way, and something a bit different, of officially recognising our achievements and success in becoming the University of Suffolk.
“We are sure Suffolk Graduate will go down well with staff, students and the local community.”
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 4 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 7 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 10 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
The new beer’s name and branding for was designed by James Tye of Achieve Creative, who graduated from the university’s graphic design programme in 2011.
He said: The idea I chose to develop took inspiration from the mortarboard, whereby the logo would take form of the diamond shape.
“The required details and name were then presented clearly in the university’s brand typefaces and colours, making a bold and fitting tribute to mark the year of celebration. “It only made sense to call it the Suffolk Graduate.”
Calvors’ head of business development, Miles Hooton, said he hopes landlords across Suffolk take a firkin or two for their pubs in the next few weeks to help support the project.
Suffolk Graduate is set to launch at Cult Cafe Bar on Saturday, April 22.
Pubs will also be stocking the new beer throughout the summer.
Landlords wishing to support the university by purchasing Suffolk Graduate should contact Calvors directly on 01449 711055.
For more information, click here.