Mcdonald’s in centre of Ipswich evacuated after gas leak

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak. Picture: JAKE FOXFORD - Credit: Archant

The McDonald’s restaurant in Ipswich town centre has been evacuated after a carbon dioxide pipe cracked and gas leaked into the building.

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak. Picture: JAKE FOXFORD - Credit: Archant

Firefighters were called to the scene about 8.15pm on October 8 after reports that a pipe supplying compressed carbon dioxide gas to the fizzy drinks machine was leaking.

Mcdonald’s staff were alerted by an alarm in the kitchen and quickly evacuated customers from the restaurant.

Two fire crews from Ipswich and Felixstowe headed to the fast food chain and, using breathing apparatus, entered the building and shut off the gas supply.

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak. Picture: JAKE FOXFORD - Credit: Archant

Paramedics also attended and treated a woman who fell unconscious outside the restaurant.


You may also want to watch:


Her condition was not connected to the gas leak and paramedics treated her at the scene.

Firefighters were able to allow staff back into the restaurant around 9.20pm and the restaurant remains shut.

The incident is alleged to have taken place outside the Tavern Street McDonald's Picture: JAKE FOXFO

The incident is alleged to have taken place outside the Tavern Street McDonald's Picture: JAKE FOXFORD - Credit: Archant

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak

The Tavern Street McDonalds was evacuated and no one was hurt as a result of the carbon dioxide leak. Picture: JAKE FOXFORD - Credit: Archant

Most Read

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter