Teacher banned from working with kids
A 45-year-old biology teacher who kissed a 17-year-old girl pupil after a school party wept as he was disqualified from working with children.Married father-of-two Stuart Barley was given a two-year supervision order and made to sign the Sex Offenders' Register following a hearing at Peterborough Crown Court yesterday.
A 45-year-old biology teacher who kissed a 17-year-old girl pupil after a school party wept as he was disqualified from working with children.
Married father-of-two Stuart Barley was given a two-year supervision order and made to sign the Sex Offenders' Register following a hearing at Peterborough Crown Court yesterday.
Barley, who was teaching at a Suffolk boarding school, had earlier been found guilty of engaging in sexual activity with a child while in a position of trust following a trial at Ipswich Crown Court.
He had been dismissed after teaching at the school for 20 years and was unemployed, Judge Peter De Mille was told.
You may also want to watch:
Barley was supported by a court guard after breaking down in tears at the end of the hearing.
The trial had heard that Barley was seen giving the girl a “full-on passionate kiss” by another pupil following the party in March 2007.
- 1 Tributes paid to inspirational Ipswich teenager Harrison Boyd, 13
- 2 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 3 Three fire engines called to Ipswich flat fire
- 4 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 5 Man jailed after safe stolen from Spread Eagle pub
- 6 Members of 'notorious' Ipswich gang jailed for 19 years
- 7 Superhero send off planned for 'charismatic and cheeky' Alexander, 15
- 8 Updated: Bury Road reopened after two car collision near BMW garage
- 9 The places with the highest and lowest levels of Covid in Suffolk
- 10 Daughter pays tribute to keen sailor with 'contagious energy'
Barley had denied any wrongdoing but was found guilty by a majority of 10-2 following the trial in March 2008.
He was cleared of a second allegation of engaging in sexual activity with a child.