Team get patient nomination
A WHOLE team at Ipswich Hospital has been nominated for a prestigious award.Brenda Percy, of Jewell View, Kesgrave, said all the staff of Westerfield ward had been magnificent while her father, Brian Leech, stayed there before his death on February 1.
A WHOLE team at Ipswich Hospital has been nominated for a prestigious award.
Brenda Percy, of Jewell View, Kesgrave, said all the staff of Westerfield ward had been magnificent while her father, Brian Leech, stayed there before his death on February 1.
So instead of singling one employee out she has nominated them all for The Evening Star's patient award, which recognises the hard work of staff at the hospital.
She said: “He had been ill with Alzheimer's and Parkinson's for some five years and spent a fair amount of time in hospital with various infections.
You may also want to watch:
“He was often put on Westerfield ward where he received very good care. The staff on this ward became an extended family to both Brian and us.
“Nothing was too much trouble for them. He was always clean and shaved and they even cut his hair for him on a couple of occasions.”
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 3 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 6 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 7 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 8 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 9 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 10 Ipswich man saves father-in-law after cardiac arrest at beach day-out
In January Mr Leech was taken seriously ill and admitted to hospital for what turned out to be the last two weeks of his life.
Mrs Percy added: “The staff, although sad to have him back in hospital, were pleased to see him. Their whole attitude towards dad and us made the last 16 days of his life so special.
“We cannot praise the staff from Westerfield ward highly enough from the domestic team, through all levels of the nursing staff and up to the consultant, we were made to feel a priority.
“Without the warm, caring, professional approach of all the staff on Westerfield ward, dad's last days would have been very distressing. But they made an unpleasant experience so much easier to deal with and fully deserve an award for such tem spirit.”
This year's winner of The Evening Star's Patient's Award will be presented with their award, along with other winners from the hospital's awards, at the Celebrating Our Stars Award Evening on Thursday, April 24.
Have staff at Ipswich Hospital helped save or transform your life? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.