Teen detained after sex with 14-year-old
IPSWICH: A teenager who had sex with a 14-year-old girl on a river bank in Ipswich has been sentenced to two years’ detention.
Helal Abedin met the schoolgirl as she was walking home from a relative’s house in September last year and she agreed to let him walk with her, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
The pair, who were already known to each other, had ended up on the river bank in the Tower Mill area of the town and Abedin told her he loved her, said Christopher Paxton, prosecuting.
The girl told him she had a boyfriend but Abedin removed the girl’s trousers and his own trousers and had sex with her.
Abedin told the girl: “You’ll get a pill won’t you.”
He had then walked her home, said Mr Paxton.
He said Abedin had also told the girl not to tell anyone but she had told her mother and the police were contacted.
- 1 A12 reopens after air ambulance called to three-lorry crash
- 2 Weather warning for Suffolk as thunderstorms expected to affect travel
- 3 Men convicted of kidnap and rape of Ipswich girl
- 4 New Venezuelan restaurant to bring fusion of flavour to Ipswich
- 5 Company fined £12,000 for repeatedly failing to clear Ipswich flat's waste
- 6 Forbidden Suffolk: 6 places you can't visit in the county
- 7 Community calls for action as two questioned over Ipswich stabbing
- 8 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 9 Food review: ‘The Botanist in Ipswich lives up to the hype’
- 10 Transport is patients' top priority in new medical centre plans
Abedin, 19, of Stopford Court, Ipswich, admitted sexual activity with a child and was sentenced to two years’ detention at a young offenders’ institution.
He was also ordered to sign on the sex offenders’ register for ten years and made the subject of a five year restraining order banning him from contacting the girl.
Sentencing him Judge David Goodin said that although Abedin wasn’t a dangerous offender he did represent “something of a threat” to young women he came into contact with.
Rachel Bright, for Abedin, described him as an immature young man. She said he didn’t know how old the girl was and hadn’t been seeking out a 14-year-old girl.
She said Abedin said he had consensual sex with the girl.