Teen who hit 90mph on country roads during 15-minute police chase walks free from court

Angus Perry at Ipswich Magistrate Court.

Angus Perry at Ipswich Magistrate Court.

A teenager who drove at speeds of up to 90mph on country roads during a late night police chase which ended when his car hit a tree has walked free from court.

During the 15 minute pursuit, 18-year-old Angus Perry reversed into a police car, drove on the wrong side of the road round a blind bend, went the wrong way round a roundabout and turned off the lights on his VW Polo, Ipswich Crown Court heard.

Perry, of Ivy Lodge Road, Campsea Ashe, near Wickham Market admitted dangerous driving, failing to stop for police and possession of a small amount of cannabis.

He was sentenced to 34 weeks detention in a young offenders’ institution suspended for 18 months and banned from driving for two years, after which he will have to take an extended retest.

An attendance centre order was also made and Perry was ordered to pay £425 costs.

Sentencing him Judge John Devaux said: “This was a case of prolonged bad driving while you were being pursued by the police. It only came to an end when you left the road and hit a tree.”

Russell Butcher, prosecuting, told the court that in the early hours of November 26 police officers saw Perry’s car pull out of Acer Road, Rendlesham at speed and drive off in the direction of Tunstall.

Most Read

The car was travelling in excess of 40mph and the officers switched on the blue lights and siren on their police car.

During the 15 minute chase that followed Perry had driven the wrong way round a roundabout, driven on the wrong side of the road, crossed a T junction at Tunstall without stopping and cut the corner on a blind bend.

At one stage he stopped his car, but when police officers pulled up immediately behind him, Perry reversed into the police car, causing minor damage to the number plate, before driving off, said Mr Butcher.

During the pursuit Perry had reached 90mph on a straight piece of road and at one stage had turned off his lights for eight seconds.

The incident came to an end when Perry’s car took a right hand bend at speed and mounted a bank before spinning back on to the road after hitting a tree.

The bodywork of the car was damaged and there was smoke coming from the engine, said Mr Butcher.

A small amount of herbal cannabis was found in a tobacco tin in the vehicle.

Steven Dyble for Perry handed a number of references to the court and said his client came from a decent, law-abiding family.

He said Perry had made a “catastrophic error of judgement” by failing to stop for the police.

“He literally just panicked,” said Mr Dyble.

Mr Dyble said Perry, who had no previous convictions, was a plumbing apprentice and would lose his apprenticeship if he went into custody.

He said the whole experience had come as a shock to Perry and his family and he had learned his lesson.