Teenager avoids jail sentence
A TEENAGER who kicked a pensioner as he waited for a bus has avoided an immediate jail term.Francesca Conway, 18, of Crescent Road, Ipswich, then laughed at her victim along with her friend.
A TEENAGER who kicked a pensioner as he waited for a bus has avoided an immediate jail term.
Francesca Conway, 18, of Crescent Road, Ipswich, then laughed at her victim along with her friend.
Robert Barnwell, prosecuting at South East Suffolk Magistrates' court, said: “Her 70-year-old victim was waiting for a bus when the defendant walks up towards him and in a totally unprovoked attack kicks him square on the backside and was egged on to carry on the assault by a friend.
“The victim said he suffered no injury other than mild discomfort and pain at the time.”
Conway, who admitted having a drink problem, pleaded guilty to common assault on October 6.
Dino Barricella mitigating said it was her first offence of this kind.
- 1 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 2 Police carry out 'pre-planned' operation in Felixstowe road
- 3 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 4 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 5 Ipswich salon to offer free gent's haircut at Suffolk Show
- 6 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 7 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 8 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 9 Double drink driver who killed Jennifer, 32, jailed six years and eight months
- 10 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
District Judge David Cooper said: “This was a humiliating attack on a vulnerable 70-year-old guy. This kind of event is quite frightening.”
Conway was sentenced to 12 weeks in a young offenders' institute but the term was suspended for six months.
She was also placed on probation supervision for a year.