Teenager avoids jail sentence
A TEENAGER who kicked a pensioner as he waited for a bus has avoided an immediate jail term.Francesca Conway, 18, of Crescent Road, Ipswich, then laughed at her victim along with her friend.
A TEENAGER who kicked a pensioner as he waited for a bus has avoided an immediate jail term.
Francesca Conway, 18, of Crescent Road, Ipswich, then laughed at her victim along with her friend.
Robert Barnwell, prosecuting at South East Suffolk Magistrates' court, said: “Her 70-year-old victim was waiting for a bus when the defendant walks up towards him and in a totally unprovoked attack kicks him square on the backside and was egged on to carry on the assault by a friend.
“The victim said he suffered no injury other than mild discomfort and pain at the time.”
You may also want to watch:
Conway, who admitted having a drink problem, pleaded guilty to common assault on October 6.
Dino Barricella mitigating said it was her first offence of this kind.
- 1 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 2 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 3 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 4 'We don't want them here' - Work continues to make Maple Park safer
- 5 Four men arrested after man dies at Felixstowe lorry park
- 6 Felixstowe's mayor offers reassurance following lorry park death arrests
- 7 Woman sexually assaulted near Ipswich Waterfront
- 8 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 9 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
- 10 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
District Judge David Cooper said: “This was a humiliating attack on a vulnerable 70-year-old guy. This kind of event is quite frightening.”
Conway was sentenced to 12 weeks in a young offenders' institute but the term was suspended for six months.
She was also placed on probation supervision for a year.