Teenager charged over Copleston fire
A MAN has been charged today in connection with an alleged arson attack at an Ipswich high school.Ashley Norman, 18, of Clifford Road, Ipswich was arrested following a blaze at Copleston High School on Sunday, August 27.
A MAN has been charged today in connection with an alleged arson attack at an Ipswich high school.
Ashley Norman, 18, of Clifford Road, Ipswich was arrested following a blaze at Copleston High School on Sunday, August 27.
The fire devastated offices, a staff room and science lab in the old part of the Copleston Road school.
Parts of the building had to be demolished in the wake of the blaze and some pupils faced delays in getting back to school at the beginning of the school term.
Mobile classrooms and toilets also had to been delivered to cope with the loss of facilities sustained in the blaze.
The fire caused hundred of thousand of pounds of damage to the school and saw dozens of firefighters deployed to the scene.
- 1 Drug dealers jailed after police seize cocaine from van and home
- 2 Six arrested following two incidents involving knives in Ipswich
- 3 Two men spit at victim and demand money near Ipswich Waterfront
- 4 When and where will the thunderstorms hit Suffolk?
- 5 Missing 17-year-old girl found safe and well
- 6 Product sold at Tesco recalled due to risk of disease-causing bacteria
- 7 7 roadworks to be aware of in Suffolk this week
- 8 Racing bike worth more than £1,000 stolen outside Sainsbury's in Ipswich
- 9 Go-ahead for business park project that could create 350 jobs in Ipswich
- 10 Three supercars pulled over in village for having no front number plates
A police and fire investigation was launched in the hours following the blaze and it was treated as suspicion early on because two separate fires had broken out on the site in the course of the evening.
Norman is due to appear at South East Suffolk Magistrates' Court on October 10 charged with arson.
A 16 and 18-year-old were also arrested on September 1 in connection with the fire are due to answer bail at Ipswich police station on October 30.