Teenager charged over fire at bus station toilet block
IPSWICH: A teenager has been charged with arson following a toilet block blaze at the town’s bus station.
The fire was started at the Old Cattlemarket bus station on Thursday evening. Two 19-year-olds were arrested afterwards by officers.
Luke Maney, 19, of Birkfield Drive, Ipswich, has been charged with arson endangering life.
He appeared before magistrates on Saturday and was ordered to appear in Ipswich Crown Court on October 16.
A second man was arrested on suspicion of the same offence and later released on police bail pending further investigations.
You may also want to watch:
He was told to return to Ipswich Police Station on August 18.
The building was very badly damaged during the blaze – the roof was destroyed and it clearly suffered serious internal damage.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 6 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
Although the toilets were described as “superloos” when first installed in the bus station in the early 1990s, over recent years they have been considered something of an eyesore.
The fire service was called out at about 9pm and spent almost an hour at the scene ensuring that the blaze was completely extinguished.
No one was hurt in the incident and late-night buses were able to return to most of the bus station once the blaze had been put out.
Any witnesses or anyone with information on the incident can contact Suffolk police on 01473 613500.