Teenager dances for joy
TEENAGER Rebecca MacDonald is dancing for joy after waltzing her way to the top of a national ballroom competition.Rebecca MacDonald, 13, of Wexford Road, Ipswich, and her dance partner Ben Taylor, 13, from Essex beat 48 couples at the champions of tomorrow competition 2002 at Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
TEENAGER Rebecca MacDonald is dancing for joy after waltzing her way to the top of a national ballroom competition.
Rebecca MacDonald, 13, of Wexford Road, Ipswich, and her dance partner Ben Taylor, 13, from Essex beat 48 couples at the champions of tomorrow competition 2002 at Winter Gardens, Blackpool.
In the final Rebecca and Ben were up against five other pairs and performed a waltz and cha cha cha routine in front of a live band with more than 500 people watching them.
"I was nervous in the earlier rounds but in the final I was quite relaxed.
"However, before the judges announced their decision I was very nervous. When they called out our number for first place, the spotlight homed in on us and I was so excited, it was brilliant," said Rebecca.
Her father Kevin said: "I was completely overjoyed and am enormously proud of what Rebecca has achieved.
- 1 Road near Ipswich town centre closed after crash involving motorcyclist
- 2 New independent baby shop opens in Ipswich
- 3 Man used drawstring from JD Sports bag to drag woman to the ground
- 4 When will bins be collected in Ipswich this Bank Holiday weekend?
- 5 'Fresh and timeless' Greek cuisine comes to Ipswich
- 6 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 7 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 8 See inside Ipswich home with stunning views of the town from own turret
- 9 'I am so excited': New store owner on his dream come true
- 10 Driver caught doing 64mph in 40mph section of A12
"When you win at Blackpool you know you are getting somewhere. This was Rebecca's fourth time and to actually win it is a big achievement and a step in the right direction."
Rebecca has been dancing for five years and attends the Lait dance club in Clarkson Street, Ipswich and is coached by Bruce Lait.
Rebecca a pupil at Westbourne High, Ipswich has only been dancing with Ben for one year and the couple practice every Friday evening for five hours.
Rebecca is very serious about her dancing and hopes to make it the World Championships one day.
"I would love to make a career out of dancing. You get to travel all over the world. Doing some that you enjoy – I can't think of anything better," she said.
Mr MacDonald added: "Rebecca is competing every weekend and it costs us an arm and a leg.
"However, so long as she is enjoying her dancing we will back her and support all the way."