Teenager recovering after freak accident

AN Ipswich father whose young son suffered severe burns when he was electrocuted by an overhead cable is today pleading for children to be better warned about the dangers of railway lines.

AN Ipswich father whose young son suffered severe burns when he was electrocuted by an overhead cable is today pleading for children to be better warned about the dangers of railway lines.

Aaron Jacyna, 13, is recovering in hospital after a freak accident saw him suffer a massive electric shock.

The 13-year-old had been walking past the railway bridge on the corner of Hadleigh Road and Dickins Road at about 8.45pm on Friday when the accident happened.

With his son lying in a specialist burns unit in a Chelmsford hospital, the boy's father, Peter Jacyna, told The Evening Star that his son had been dragging a wire cable, which he had found in a street nearby, along a wall at the side of the pavement.


You may also want to watch:


Aaron, who lives with his family in Mulberry Road, had been with his cousin and a friend when part of the wire he was holding went over the top of the railway bridge and hit a train cable carrying 20,000 volts above the railway line.

When the wire connected with the cable it sent a powerful shock through the teenager. Scorch marks are today still visible on the side of the bridge.

Most Read

Mr Jacyna had been waiting at his sister-in-law's house in Kelly Road for the boys to return when he learned of what had happened.

He said: “They had gone to walk a friend home and should have been back within ten minutes.

“When they were late I called Aaron on his mobile phone. His cousin answered and said Aaron had been hurt.

“He told me he thought a firework had come up from under the bridge and hit him.”

It was only later at Ipswich Hospital that doctors discovered Aaron had been electrocuted.

Mr Jacyna said: “There was a hole in the bottom of Aaron's big toe on his right foot and the medical staff said he had been electrocuted and this is where the current tried to get out.

“He was wearing rubber-soled shoes at the time and staff said they had saved his life.”

Aaron was transferred from Ipswich Hospital to Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, where he remains under observation.

Mr Jacyna said: “He may still have to have an operation to sort his foot out. The whole thing has been a big ordeal for the family.

“I want to prevent anyone else from having to go through this and want warning signs to be put up stating this area is dangerous.

“I also want to warn other children myself that they should stay away from train lines as this could happen to them too.”

Linda Vinyard, who lives in Dickins Road next to the bridge, heard a 'bang' when Aaron was electrocuted.

She said: “I heard an almighty bang which sounded like a firework. The only reason I knew it wasn't was because the British Transport Police turned up soon afterwards.”

British Transport Police today issued a warning to people to stay away from overhead power lines and pledged to continue its education campaign in schools urging children to use extreme caution around railway tracks.

N Did you see Aaron Jacyna get electrocuted? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter