Teenager's murder trial set for June

A 15-year-old girl is due to stand trial in June accused of two murders after pleading not guilty at Ipswich Crown Court to both homicides.

IPSWICH: A 15-year-old girl is due to stand trial in June accused of two murders after pleading not guilty at Ipswich Crown Court to both homicides.

The teenager and two men, Paul Clarke, of Mountbatten Court, Ipswich, and John Grimwood, of Canham Street, Ipswich, denied murdering Rosalyn Hunt, of Victoria Street.

The 41-year-old's body was discovered by police at her Ipswich flat at around 11am on Sunday, August 9, last year.

The three accused appeared in court yesterday where they were alleged to have murdered Ms Hunt sometime between August 1 and August 10. Canham, 27, is charged with one murder.

However, his two co-accused also face charges of murdering Des Thorpe, whose body was found at an upstairs flat at Limerick Close by an ambulance crew around 4am on August 10.

When the girl, who was wearing a red England football shirt and grey jogging bottoms, was asked by the clerk of the court how she pleaded to this charge she said: “Not guilty.”

Most Read

However, Clarke, 41, who was wearing a dark and light blue sports top with striped sleeves, did not enter a plea.

The court was told an application to dismiss the charge against him in the Des Thorpe case was due to be heard at a later date.

A provisional date for the hearing was set for March 31 in Cambridge. Half a day was set aside for the proceedings.

At present the trial for both murder cases is set for June 14.

Prosecutor Andrew Thompson asked the court for an extension to the custody time limits for all three defendants.

Judge John Devaux agreed to extend them to June 18.

The hearing was over in around 15 minutes.

As the accused were taken from the dock, the girl waved to her family who were in the public gallery.