Teenagers in court on murder charge
TWO teenagers have made their first appearance in court after being charged with murdering a newborn baby.The 15-year-old girl and a 17-year-old boy - both from Eye - were arrested last Thursday after police received reports that a baby had died.
TWO teenagers have made their first appearance in court after being charged with murdering a newborn baby.
The 15-year-old girl and a 17-year-old boy - both from Eye - were arrested last Thursday after police received reports that a baby had died.
A post mortem examination later revealed the baby had suffered injuries prior to its death, on October 7.
Chairman of the bench at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court Dr Dick Soper, said yesterday that the teenagers - who cannot be named for legal reasons - faced “very serious charges”.
You may also want to watch:
He remanded the boy in custody, and placed the girl in local authority accommodation, until Wednesday, when the matter will be heard at Bury Youth Court.
The teenagers also face a second charge under the Domestic Violence Crime and Victims Act 2004 which relates to causing or allowing the death of a child.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
Neither teenager has entered a plea regarding either charge.