Teenagers killed in road accidents
TWO teenage boys have been tragically killed after being hit by cars as they both tried to cross busy dual carriageways.Last night police had not released details of either of the victims following the incidents, which happened near Colchester and one near Southend, at the weekend.
TWO teenage boys have been tragically killed after being hit by cars as they both tried to cross busy dual carriageways.
Last night police had not released details of either of the victims following the incidents, which happened near Colchester and one near Southend, at the weekend.
A 16-year-old boy was declared dead at the scene of an accident on the A12 near Stanway in the early hours of Saturday morning.
He was involved in a collision with a recovery truck on the London-bound carriageway just prior to the Stanway slip road.
Essex Police are now trying to establish whether the youngster was trying to cross the dual carriageway or whether he may have fallen from the Halstead Road bridge which crosses the A12.
They are particularly keen to speak to the driver of a red van which was seen swerving to avoid something in the road just prior to the incident, which officers believe could have been the victim.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 5 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 6 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 7 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 8 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 9 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
Police would also like to hear from anyone who saw the victim walking through Colchester between 11.55pm on Friday and the time of the accident, which happened at about 12.40am on Saturday.
The boy, described as white, of medium build, with short dark hair, wearing a black short zipped up jacket, baggy blue jeans and brown and white trainers, was seen by a friend in Crouch Street just before midnight and was heading home along Lexden Road.
Anyone with information about the accident should contact PC Darren Potts at Stanway Traffic Police on 01206 762512.
Elsewhere in the county a 14-year-old boy died when involved in a collision with a car as he tried to cross the A13 with three other boys at Aveley, near Southend, at about 5pm on Saturday.
Police said he had crossed safely to the central reservation but was fatally injured as he tried to make his way across the Southend-bound lane.
Officers are also appealing for witnesses after a 20-year-old man died when his Vauxhall Nova was in collision with a transporter just outside Chelmsford.
The crash in Hackmans Lane happened just before 5pm on Friday and the driver was declared dead at the scene. No-one else was injured.
Any witnesses to the accident should contact PC Vinnie Atkinson on 01245 491491.