Teens among four arrested in Ipswich over knives and drug offences
- Credit: Archant
A 16-year-old suspected of being in possession of a large hunting knife was one of four males arrested on suspicion being involved in a drug deal.
Police found two hunting knives and a kitchen knife when they detained three teenagers and a 27-year-old man in Sidegate Lane, Ipswich.
All are said to be from the London area.
The officers had previously witnessed what they believed to be a drug deal 30 minutes earlier in an alleyway near to Colchester Road.
The arrests took place on Tuesday, the day the town’s new MP Sandy Martin made his maiden speech in the Houses of Parliament warning about the rise in violence in Ipswich relating to the drug trade. Mr Martin said more needed to be done to tackle drugs in the town.
You may also want to watch:
The four people detained – two 16-year-olds, a 19-year-old and the 27-year-old – were arrested by officers on Operation Woven, which has been running since the beginning of March and has yielded more than 120 arrests to date.
In addition to the knives, drugs and cash were seized.
- 1 62-year-old arrested following incident in Ipswich town centre
- 2 The Walk in Ipswich town centre cordoned off by police
- 3 Life sentence for man who stabbed and left woman in field near Ipswich
- 4 'I'm very lucky' – Ipswich biker-chef lost arm and hand in A14 crash
- 5 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 6 'Devious' Ipswich doctor jailed for sending fake texts to flatmate
- 7 Ipswich Town fan banned from Portman Road for racially abusing player
- 8 Ipswich in shock after waterfront sexual assault
- 9 Trucker ran eBay scam selling straps used for securing heavy loads
- 10 250 Ipswich patients fined after failing to pay for their prescriptions
Tim Cracknell, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “At around 3.15pm on Tuesday Op Woven officers on patrol in the Colchester Road area witnessed a suspected drug deal in a nearby alleyway.
“Around 30 minutes later officers arrested four people in Sidegate Lane in connection with this incident.
“They were a 27-year-old man, of no fixed address, arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug, possession of an offensive weapon and possession of a Class B or C drug.
“A 19-year-old man from east London was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug.
“A 16-year-old boy from east London was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug.
“A 16-year-old boy from east London was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug and possession of an offensive weapon. Two hunting knives, a kitchen knife, a quantity of wraps of drugs and a large quantity of cash were subsequently seized during this incident.
“All four have been release under investigation pending further enquires.”