Teens among four arrested in Ipswich over knives and drug offences
- Credit: Archant
A 16-year-old suspected of being in possession of a large hunting knife was one of four males arrested on suspicion being involved in a drug deal.
Police found two hunting knives and a kitchen knife when they detained three teenagers and a 27-year-old man in Sidegate Lane, Ipswich.
All are said to be from the London area.
The officers had previously witnessed what they believed to be a drug deal 30 minutes earlier in an alleyway near to Colchester Road.
The arrests took place on Tuesday, the day the town’s new MP Sandy Martin made his maiden speech in the Houses of Parliament warning about the rise in violence in Ipswich relating to the drug trade. Mr Martin said more needed to be done to tackle drugs in the town.
The four people detained – two 16-year-olds, a 19-year-old and the 27-year-old – were arrested by officers on Operation Woven, which has been running since the beginning of March and has yielded more than 120 arrests to date.
In addition to the knives, drugs and cash were seized.
- 1 Richest people in East Anglia revealed on Sunday Times Rich List
- 2 Crash involving ambulance closes Ipswich road
- 3 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 4 Parking woes for shop parade hit by 'continous roadworks'
- 5 'You have broken us!' - New cafe at Suffolk beauty spot on huge demand
- 6 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
- 7 Driver taken to hospital after car crashes into parked vehicle
- 8 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 9 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 10 List of 18 rejected proposals to save Felixstowe beach huts revealed
Tim Cracknell, a spokesman for Suffolk Constabulary said: “At around 3.15pm on Tuesday Op Woven officers on patrol in the Colchester Road area witnessed a suspected drug deal in a nearby alleyway.
“Around 30 minutes later officers arrested four people in Sidegate Lane in connection with this incident.
“They were a 27-year-old man, of no fixed address, arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug, possession of an offensive weapon and possession of a Class B or C drug.
“A 19-year-old man from east London was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug.
“A 16-year-old boy from east London was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug.
“A 16-year-old boy from east London was arrested on suspicion of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug and possession of an offensive weapon. Two hunting knives, a kitchen knife, a quantity of wraps of drugs and a large quantity of cash were subsequently seized during this incident.
“All four have been release under investigation pending further enquires.”