Teens hurt in police chase car crash

THREE teenagers are being treated in Ipswich hospital after a car being followed by a police motorcycle crashed into a wall in front of two houses.A red Ford Mondeo car demolished the walls outside two homes in Ipswich near the junction of Norwich Road and Meredith Road at 11.

A PENSIONER today told how she heard a loud "explosion" as teenagers in a car being chased by a police motorcycle smashed into her garden wall.

The youngsters, two of whom were trapped in the car after the crash, were being treated in Ipswich Hospital following the accident,

Sylvia Stopher, 72, was reading in bed when she heard the loud bang.

She got dressed and went outside to find a red Ford Mondeo car had ploughed into her garden, demolishing her wall and ruining her flowerbeds. The car was a write-off.

Police have now launched an investigation into the crash, which happened at the junction of Norwich Road and Meredith Road at 11.10pm yesterday. No other vehicles were involved in the collision.

Mrs Stopher said: "I was reading in bed when I heard what I thought was an explosion. I looked out of the window and saw the car in the wall and hoped no one was hurt.

Most Read

"Then I got dressed and came downstairs to see if I could help. One of the boys was sitting outside the car and two others were being cut out by firefighters.

"I couldn't tell how bad the injuries were but they were both taken on stretchers. One was definitely conscious but I'm not sure about the other one."

Police closed Norwich Road near to the junction with Ashcroft Road and traffic was diverted to allow officers to deal with the accident.

A spokesman for Suffolk police confirmed the car was being pursued at the time of the crash and said an investigation has now been launched.

He added: "There was a collision at the junction of Norwich Road and Meredith road near to the traffic lights.

"Three men in the vehicle have received non-life threatening injuries and are being treated in hospital."

Sub Officer Steve Bartram of Suffolk Fire Service was called to the scene shortly after 11pm.

He said: "On arrival we were confronted by two casualties heavily trapped in the vehicle. A third casualty was out of the vehicle. There was no fire. We removed the roof off the vehicle to release the casualties."

A spokeswoman for the East Anglian Ambulance Service added a rapid response vehicle and three ambulances went to the scene.

She said: "Three casualties were taken to Heath Road hospital, one with a head injury, one with an arm injury and one was unconscious also due to head injuries."

N Meanwhile a wheelchair-bound man was recovering today after he was involved in a collision with a bus.

The accident, in Foxhall Road, Ipswich, happened soon after 4pm yesterday .

The man, who is believed to be about 30, suffered a suspected head injury and was taken to Ipswich Hospital.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter