Tell us about your lights!
YOU shining stars!It has not escaped the notice of The Evening Star that over the years getting in gear for Christmas has been an even bolder, brighter and dazzling affair.
YOU shining stars!
It has not escaped the notice of The Evening Star that over the years getting in gear for Christmas has been an even bolder, brighter and dazzling affair.
Where we once would see a sprinkling of lights across our community we now see a veritable sight for sore eyes with everything from Father Christmas on his sleigh to a fairyland tableaux.
And because we think this sight is well worth recognising, and because we have our golden purse of seasonal goodwill, the Star has got together with British Gas to reward those that please us most.
We have five categories and the winners of each will receive £100 to be donated to a charity of their choice.
Considering many displays are already raising money for good causes, the prizes should be a welcome extra for charities.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 3 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 4 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 5 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
The Evening Star, with the help of local British Gas sales advisors, will judge the festive entries.
Our eagle-eyed photographers and reporters will be keeping a look-out for likely candidates but we need you to either nominate yourselves or someone who you think has a brilliant display.
The five categories – and entrants can come from Ipswich, Felixstowe, Stowmarket, Hadleigh and area – are:
n Best family town home (house or flat)
n Best bungalow
n Best village
n Best sheltered housing scheme or day-care centre
n Best business
Let us know who should be featured as likely winners in this super competition by contacting photographic editor David Kindred at The Evening Star, 30, Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Words of warning:
Remember safety when putting up your lights, whether for a competitive display or for your own celebrations.
All Christmas lights produced after 1992 have been made to a higher safety standard and to prevent possible danger always make sure you only buy lights with the mark BSEN 60592-2-20 on the box.
Never wire two sets of lights together and make sure they are fused correctly.