Terri's fund rockets through £160k mark
BURNS victim Terri Calvesbert has captured the nations hearts and her fund has now smashed through the £160,000 barrier.And since the nation took the six-year-old to their hearts, her story has now gone international.
BURNS victim Terri Calvesbert has captured the nations hearts and her fund has now smashed through the £160,000 barrier.
And since the nation took the six-year-old to their hearts, her story has now gone international.
A German TV company has been filming Terri for a four minute segment on one of their news magazine programmes called Blitz.
Money has been pouring into the Evening Star offices since Terri's life story was shown on national television last month.
You may also want to watch:
More than £40,000 has come into the offices from across the country for her trust fund, which was set up by the Evening Star.
A documentary was made by Anglia TV about her life starting from when she suffered the horrific 90 per cent burns in a house fire at her home in 1998.
- 1 Man arrested on suspicion of murdering Victoria Hall
- 2 Heavy police presence spotted in Ipswich as man arrested
- 3 Suffolk sprinter opens her 'dream' cafe at age of 25
- 4 9 bargain attractions within an hour of Ipswich
- 5 Rushmere man admits downloading indecent images of children
- 6 New Starbucks drive thru set to open in Ipswich
- 7 Hail, thunder and gusty winds forecast for Suffolk
- 8 Get lost in two sunflower mazes at this Suffolk farm
- 9 Suspect in Victoria Hall murder case still being questioned by police
- 10 Man charged with assault after police officer punched in the face
The programme, aired last Monday, showed the brave six-year-old battling through her life with a smile despite the 16 operations she has endured since the accident.
Her story has so touched the nation that as we revealed in last Wednesday's paper, a huge £11,000 came rolling in, in just one day.
Thousands more have been gradually coming in along with offers of holidays and lots of gifts for Terri and the family.
Simon Peyton, producer of the German news programme Blitz was one of those people who watched the programme.
He will now ensure that her plight reaches the three million viewers that watch the news programme and tens of thousands of other people across Europe who can see it on satellite TV.
It will be the second time Terri has starred on German tv, after a film crew featured her in January 2001.
Mr Peyton said: "We just thought that we wanted to help out.
"It is very rare that we do items on sick children but we thought that Terri needed it because of her exceedingly positive attitude towards life."
The bravery of Terri's father Paul was also something that caught the eye of Mr Peyton.
He said: "Despite all the time he has devoted to Terri he still has time to do voluntary work at the hospital.
"I just thought that this guy was unbelievable."
Terri's story was due to be shown last week on the Sat 1 channel in Germany.
Evening Star editor, Nigel Pickover said: "Terri touched our hearts immediately we knew of the fire and its awful consequences. We felt it was our duty to help - and, we hope, the incredible response of our readers was an early sign of the huge support of our Suffolk community.
"Since Terri's response was televised across the country we had a huge response - and there's likely to be more now that German TV is broadcasting a programme."
n. Donations for the Terri Calvesbert Appeal can be sent to Geraldine Thompson, Editor's Secretary, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich IP4 1AN.