Tesco introduces permanent quiet hours at its stores
- Credit: Archant
Tesco has introduced permanent quiet hours in all of its large stores in order to improve accessibility for some of its customers.
Every Wednesday and Saturday between the hours of 9am and 10am Tesco will be dimming its lights and lowering checkouts noise.
In a statement the supermarket said: "Tesco is a place where everyone’s welcome, but we understand that our stores – with the loud noises, bright lights or strong smells, and volume of people – can be stressful for some of our customers.
"People can feel, see and experience the world differently, and for our customers with Autism, the shopping experience may sometimes feel a bit overwhelming.
"A calmer environment can also be better for our elderly customers, ones shopping with young children, or our customers who may be struggling with mental health."
In the future Tesco wall also look to reduce the noise of self-service tills and Scan As You Shop devices.
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Dedicated daughter steps up after tragic death of 'amazing' mum Heidi
- 3 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 4 Ipswich homes left without electricity after power cut
- 5 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 6 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins it for Town
- 7 Festive shoppers brave the cold for Christmas street market in Ipswich
- 8 Interactive map reveals the Suffolk postcodes with the highest Covid rates
- 9 Care home worker may be jailed after using resident's bank card
- 10 Felixstowe Christmas light switch on outshines dreary weather