Search

Theatre to close after asbestos found

PUBLISHED: 05:00 07 May 2002 | UPDATED: 11:52 03 March 2010

STOWMARKET'S Regal Theatre is closing for three weeks to remove asbestos.

The theatre has already closed for a day after the highly toxic material was discovered, covering a heating pipe in the loft.

STOWMARKET'S Regal Theatre is closing for three weeks to remove asbestoS.

The theatre has already closed for a day after the highly toxic material was discovered, covering a heating pipe in the loft.

While the theatre was closed the roof was sealed up by experts.

Stowmarket Town Council, which runs the Ipswich Street venue, said the theatre would have to close for three weeks from the last week in May while the asbestos is removed.

The town council say the asbestos did not pose a risk to visitors and that once it was discovered they followed health and safety regulations, sealing the loft up.

The loft is separate from the rest of the building and does not pose risk to people at the theatre.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Ipswich Star. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Ipswich Star