Theatre to close after asbestos found

STOWMARKET'S Regal Theatre is closing for three weeks to remove asbestos.The theatre has already closed for a day after the highly toxic material was discovered, covering a heating pipe in the loft.

STOWMARKET'S Regal Theatre is closing for three weeks to remove asbestoS.

The theatre has already closed for a day after the highly toxic material was discovered, covering a heating pipe in the loft.

While the theatre was closed the roof was sealed up by experts.

Stowmarket Town Council, which runs the Ipswich Street venue, said the theatre would have to close for three weeks from the last week in May while the asbestos is removed.

The town council say the asbestos did not pose a risk to visitors and that once it was discovered they followed health and safety regulations, sealing the loft up.

The loft is separate from the rest of the building and does not pose risk to people at the theatre.