They're doing it for their mums
TWO cousins who both lost their mothers to cancer are hoping to raise £10,000 for charity by holding a couple of major fundraising events this summer.Sisters Sylvia Abbott, 60, and Janet Prendergast, 58, lost their battles against the disease within months of each other two years ago.
TWO cousins who both lost their mothers to cancer are hoping to raise £10,000 for charity by holding a couple of major fundraising events this summer.
Sisters Sylvia Abbott, 60, and Janet Prendergast, 58, lost their battles against the disease within months of each other two years ago.
Their sons, Stuart Abbott, 35, and Shaun Prendergast, 33, raised £5,000 for the Cancer Campaign after a golf day at Cretingham Golf Club, near Stowmarket, last year.
But they are hoping to double that sum at this year's event, with all proceeds going to the new Cancer Research UK organisation.
The Sylvia Abbott and Janet Prendergast Memorial Trophies will be contested by more than 20 teams at the golf club on Friday, June 12.
That will then be followed by a dinner dance and auction at Needham Market Community Centre the following Friday.
- 1 Woman injured after car flips on its roof near Ipswich
- 2 Developer criticised for 'failing to meet obligations'
- 3 Suffolk campsite named among the best in the UK by the Guardian
- 4 Suffolk fish and chip van to feature on Escape to the Country
- 5 WATCH: Adorable family of foxes enjoy play time at an Ipswich doorstep
- 6 Friends raise money for garden for terminally ill Suffolk mum
- 7 Mother who befriended son's killer discusses his new book
- 8 Fencing around historic Trimley station causes scare for local community
- 9 Jail for man who drove stolen car at police officers
- 10 'We are both in love' - Ed Sheeran announces birth of second daughter
Mr Abbott, of Temple Road, Stowmarket, said: "It was a bit of rush job when we organised the event last year so this time we're aiming to do it properly. The course was only nine-holes last year and has risen to 18 this time, so we've got more teams for a start."
The golfing duo have been delighted by the response to requests for donations for the auction. Among the items supplied have been a signed Newcastle United FC shirt, a pair of return flight tickets to New York courtesy of Richard Branson and memorabilia from TV soaps Eastenders and Coronation Street – including one of popular character Deirdre Barlow's skirts.
Mr Abbott and Mr Prendergast are looking for sponsorship for each of the 18 holes at a cost of £150 a hole, and teams of four golfers at a cost of £25 a head, including 36 holes of golf and lunch. To enter a team or help with sponsorship call 01449 675781 or 01449 615489.