They're doing it for their mums
TWO cousins who both lost their mothers to cancer are hoping to raise £10,000 for charity by holding a couple of major fundraising events this summer.Sisters Sylvia Abbott, 60, and Janet Prendergast, 58, lost their battles against the disease within months of each other two years ago.
TWO cousins who both lost their mothers to cancer are hoping to raise £10,000 for charity by holding a couple of major fundraising events this summer.
Sisters Sylvia Abbott, 60, and Janet Prendergast, 58, lost their battles against the disease within months of each other two years ago.
Their sons, Stuart Abbott, 35, and Shaun Prendergast, 33, raised £5,000 for the Cancer Campaign after a golf day at Cretingham Golf Club, near Stowmarket, last year.
But they are hoping to double that sum at this year's event, with all proceeds going to the new Cancer Research UK organisation.
You may also want to watch:
The Sylvia Abbott and Janet Prendergast Memorial Trophies will be contested by more than 20 teams at the golf club on Friday, June 12.
That will then be followed by a dinner dance and auction at Needham Market Community Centre the following Friday.
- 1 Air ambulance lands near Ipswich shops after medical emergency
- 2 Ipswich crack cocaine and heroin dealer jailed
- 3 Ipswich tops rankings for Suffolk's Japanese knotweed infestations
- 4 Woodbridge nurse plans Caribbean retirement after National Lottery win
- 5 Closest Covid testing hub to Ipswich town centre forced to close
- 6 A12 reopens after police respond to 'serious' accident
- 7 Ed Sheeran to be Ipswich Town shirt sponsor for 2021/22
- 8 Person in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 Joy as Shotley Pier finally set to reopen after being derelict for over 30 years
Mr Abbott, of Temple Road, Stowmarket, said: "It was a bit of rush job when we organised the event last year so this time we're aiming to do it properly. The course was only nine-holes last year and has risen to 18 this time, so we've got more teams for a start."
The golfing duo have been delighted by the response to requests for donations for the auction. Among the items supplied have been a signed Newcastle United FC shirt, a pair of return flight tickets to New York courtesy of Richard Branson and memorabilia from TV soaps Eastenders and Coronation Street – including one of popular character Deirdre Barlow's skirts.
Mr Abbott and Mr Prendergast are looking for sponsorship for each of the 18 holes at a cost of £150 a hole, and teams of four golfers at a cost of £25 a head, including 36 holes of golf and lunch. To enter a team or help with sponsorship call 01449 675781 or 01449 615489.