Thieves steal Christmas club cash
A CHRISTMAS club organiser was today said to be feeling suicidal after burglars stole £21,000 belonging to members while he was at the pub.Pensioners and single parents are among the 40 or so people who paid weekly instalments to Steve Roberts as they saved their cash for Christmas presents.
By Tracey Sparling
A CHRISTMAS club organiser was today said to be feeling suicidal after burglars stole £21,000 belonging to members while he was at the pub.
Pensioners and single parents are among the 40 or so people who paid weekly instalments to Steve Roberts as they saved their cash for Christmas presents.
Mr Roberts, of Orwell Gardens, Ipswich, looked after an unofficial Christmas savings club for members at the town's Manor Ballroom Club and the Port of Felixstowe, where he works.
You may also want to watch:
A spokeswoman for Ipswich police today confirmed the matter was the subject of an investigation.
She said: "A burglary was reported and it is being treated as a burglary. An investigation is under way, and all lines of inquiry are being investigated."
- 1 Man caught in Ipswich park paedophile sting jailed for more than two years
- 2 Ipswich teenage boy arrested over stabbing
- 3 Ipswich lorry drivers raise a glass as haulage firm launches in-house watering hole
- 4 Family 'devastated' after elderly man's Reliant Robin tipped over
- 5 Should buses be kept out of Ipswich's Upper Brook Street?
- 6 Woman accused of fraudulently giving £75k to son while bankrupt
- 7 Farmland 'years away' from development, says builder
- 8 Central Ipswich office tower could be converted into more than 100 flats
- 9 Power cuts in Ipswich leave businesses closed
- 10 Five of the best places to cure your hangover in Ipswich
The Evening Star is offering a £500 reward to anyone who can supply information leading to the arrest and conviction of the culprit.
is asked to contact police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.>
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR