Thieves steal Christmas club cash
A CHRISTMAS club organiser was today said to be feeling suicidal after burglars stole £21,000 belonging to members while he was at the pub.Pensioners and single parents are among the 40 or so people who paid weekly instalments to Steve Roberts as they saved their cash for Christmas presents.
By Tracey Sparling
A CHRISTMAS club organiser was today said to be feeling suicidal after burglars stole £21,000 belonging to members while he was at the pub.
Pensioners and single parents are among the 40 or so people who paid weekly instalments to Steve Roberts as they saved their cash for Christmas presents.
Mr Roberts, of Orwell Gardens, Ipswich, looked after an unofficial Christmas savings club for members at the town's Manor Ballroom Club and the Port of Felixstowe, where he works.
A spokeswoman for Ipswich police today confirmed the matter was the subject of an investigation.
She said: "A burglary was reported and it is being treated as a burglary. An investigation is under way, and all lines of inquiry are being investigated."
- 1 9 Ipswich restaurants we wish had never closed
- 2 Ipswich man jailed for three years for attempted robbery
- 3 Ipswich primary school closed for 'maintenance investigations'
- 4 'Quirky and memorable' name for new café and visitor centre revealed
- 5 New Ipswich council houses and microhomes win awards
- 6 Major milestone marked as Ipswich Hospital south entrance reopens
- 7 'Mum had the last Christmas she deserved' - Ipswich hospice helps families
- 8 Judge reassures town centre is 'open for business' after robbery trial
- 9 Police seek driver who failed to stop at scene of crash
- 10 Women uniting against violence in Ipswich
The Evening Star is offering a £500 reward to anyone who can supply information leading to the arrest and conviction of the culprit.
is asked to contact police on 01473 613500 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.>
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR