Thieves target family for second time
FOR the second time in 18 months a family is counting the cost today after being hit by thieves.Raiders struck while the family was asleep at the Mendlesham Bakery, which also houses the village post office, sometime overnight on Tuesday and Wednesday, taking around £800 of cigarettes.
FOR the second time in 18 months a family is counting the cost today after being hit by thieves.
Raiders struck while the family was asleep at the Mendlesham Bakery, which also houses the village post office, sometime overnight on Tuesday and Wednesday, taking around £800 of cigarettes. They also caused considerable damage as they tried to break open a cash machine inside the shop after breaking in through the front doors.
Postmaster Doug McIntyre and wife Gisela, who have two children, slept through the raid at the premises on the Old Market Street.
A police spokeswoman said that anyone who saw anything unusual that night should contact Stowmarket police on 01473 613500.
It was the second time burglars have broken into their business while the McIntyres slept upstairs.
Thieves stole £2,500 of cigarettes, alcohol and cash in a similar break-in in August 2000.
- 1 What time will the Red Arrows be flying over Suffolk this weekend?
- 2 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 3 Revealed: The top serious crash hotspots in Ipswich
- 4 Cannabis dealer jailed after being caught with drugs in Range Rover
- 5 Man was allegedly battered to death in Ipswich guest house, jury hears
- 6 Goat dies and ponies injured after dog attack
- 7 Revealed: The most popular Suffolk fish and chip shop
- 8 Planning application for new Taco Bell in Ipswich expected 'imminently'
- 9 Did you stop for a pint in one of these Foxhall Road pubs?
- 10 Huge response to plans for new Ipswich medical centre
The family took over the post office in Mendlesham last year following the closure of the village's post office amid investigations into a £1,400 discrepancy in its accounts.