Three die in three days on Suffolk roads
TWO people have been killed on Suffolk roads in just three days after another tragedy last night.A 22-year-old woman was killed after she was thrown from a minibus that then crushed her on the Suffolk/Essex border.
By Tracey Sparling
TWO people have been killed on Suffolk roads in just three days after another tragedy last night.
A 22-year-old woman was killed after she was thrown from a minibus that then crushed her on the Suffolk/Essex border.
The accident happened at about 8.30pm yesterday on the southbound carriageway of the A12, near to East Bergholt turn-off.
You may also want to watch:
It is believed the white M-reg Ford minibus left the carriageway after one of its tyres blew. The woman was thrown from the vehicle and then became trapped underneath it.
The victim, believed to come from Essex, was taken by ambulance to Colchester General Hospital suffering with serious head injuries but later died.
- 1 Felixstowe beach hut goes on sale for record price
- 2 Meet the Ipswich teenage singer who gave £17.5k away to charity
- 3 Police identify man in CCTV images after 'spitting' incident
- 4 Duo jailed after 63 bags of cocaine found in hotel room
- 5 Ipswich man charged with attempted murder
- 6 Felixstowe man found with child porn given suspended sentence
- 7 Film crews spotted in Ipswich town centre
- 8 Could restaurant move into closed Little Waitrose in Ipswich?
- 9 Indian Covid variant being monitored in Suffolk after one case confirmed
- 10 South African man jailed for stalking wife in Suffolk after they separated
The victim's name will not be released until her next of kin have been notified.
Other people travelling in the minibus suffered shock and minor injuries.
Police cannot confirm who owns the minibus, or how many were travelling in it.
A police spokeswoman said today: "A lengthy investigation will take place and all information will be presented to the coroner."
The outside lane of the A12 was temporarily closed and scenes of crime officers were also called to the accident site. No one has been charged in connection with the incident.
Fire crews from Ipswich, Colchester and Hadleigh were called to help but the woman had been released before they arrived.
The accident comes after a 38-year-old pedestrian died in a collision with a camper wagon on the A14 at Haughley in the early hours of Sunday morning. The victim of that accident has not yet been formally identified by police but is believed to have been a foreign national.
That stretch of road – which usually has a 50mph limit and was restricted to 40mph for roadworks at the time – was closed for about four hours.
Police are appealing for anybody who witnessed the latest accident to contact Pc Simon Hobson on 01473 613500.
Across the county border, at Linton in Cambridgeshire, police are treating as suspicious the death of a 26-year-old Suffolk walker, who was found dead on the A1307 in the early hours of Sunday.
Detectives believe he was either deliberately killed, or was the victim of a hit-and-run accident. They are trying to track down a red car – possibly a Vauxhall Astra – which they believe was damaged in a collision which resulted in the man's death.
The man from Haverhill, who has not been named, is believed to have been travelling on a bus to nearby Linton before he died.
Detective Inspector Paul Fulwood said the man had been involved in a row with a group of young men.
Detectives arrested and questioned a 31-year-old Suffolk man, who was yesterday released on bail to return on September 18.