Three generations of one family train side by side at Felixstowe Martial Arts
- Credit: Archant
A fighting fit octogenarian from Felixstowe has inspired two more generations of his family to learn the practice of combat.
Harry Bennett, 83, his daughter, Clare Bennett, 34, and her 11-year-old son, Louis Weatherley, train every Thursday with Felixstowe Martial Arts at St Felix Church hall.
Former Royal Air Force serviceman Harry said: “When I was younger I boxed and then I came into this.
“It’s sometimes hard but if you push it you get beyond that blocking point.”
Instructor Dennis McGeachie said Harry, with whom he has trained for around 20 years, still had the enthusiasm of a teenager.
He added: “I use Harry as a motivation when I’m tired, I think ‘if Harry can do it at 83 then anyone can do it’.
“It’s great when you see families here - that’s what we want the club to be about.”
- 1 Most desirable places to live in Ipswich according to estate agents
- 2 Ipswich man charged with string of sexual offences
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals locked up so far in 2022
- 4 Ipswich Music Day 2022: All you need to know
- 5 Woman 'froze' after seeing masked men with machetes in Ipswich
- 6 Missing 12-year-old girl from Ipswich found safe
- 7 OPINION: Free sporting activities for children return to Ipswich this summer
- 8 Plans for 440 homes and visitor centre in Ipswich Garden Suburb submitted
- 9 Ipswich singer to perform UK festival tour after scoring club hit
- 10 Could you offer one of these rescue animals their forever home in Suffolk?
There are around 25 members of Felixstowe Martial Arts, ranging in age from six to 83.