Three men arrested in Ipswich in relation to football-related disorder near pub before Rotherham United and Ipswich Town match
- Credit: Archant
Three men in Ipswich were this morning arrested in relation to football-related disorder in South Yorkshire this month.
Officers investigating an incident which took place outside a pub in Rotherham on Saturday, February 7 prior to the match between Rotherham United and Ipswich Town at New York Stadium, have arrested three men on suspicion of violent disorder.
The three men, who are all from Ipswich and aged 25, 22 and 21, have been taken to Martlesham Police Investigation Centre where they are being held for questioning.
The news comes ahead of the East Anglian derby on Sunday, with Ipswich Town playing Norwich City at Carrow Road (2.05pm).
Policing commander for Sunday’s game, Chief Superintendent Nick Davison, of Suffolk Constabulary, said: “These arrests give us the opportunity to reiterate our message ahead of the East Anglian Derby this weekend.
“This is a great local derby event with healthy rivalry between two family friendly clubs and supporters and the joint police operation has been developed to ensure everyone has a great day out and the vast majority of fans will enjoy the event in the right spirit.
“However, Suffolk Constabulary has been working with colleagues at South Yorkshire Police and officers in Norfolk, to help identify those involved in the disorder between Ipswich and Rotherham supporters and should any of those responsible attend the match on Sunday we will take appropriate action.”
- 1 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 2 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 3 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 4 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 5 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 6 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 7 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 8 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 9 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 10 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph