A look back at Ipswich in September 1984 featuring Sir Cliff Richard
- Credit: RICHARD SNASDELL
In September 1984 there was a marathon, the grand opening of the Ipswich Ski Centre, a visit from Sir Cliff Richard and more. Can you see anyone you know in the pictures?
In September 1984 hundreds of runners filled the streets of Ipswich to run the Ipswich Marathon. The course took the runners all over the town including along the waterfront.
This wasn’t the only sporting event to take place that month, the town also saw the opening of the Ipswich Ski Centre.
The grand opening saw crowds of people putting on a pair of skies and testing out the new slopes. Were you one of those?
It was a busy month for our town and one which pleased beer lovers as an Ipswich beer festival took place at the Corn Exchange - visitors enjoyed sampling the various beers on offer.
You may also want to watch:
In the same month we welcomed back pupils at Britannia School by sending down our photographer to take pictures of them as they begun their new school year.
However, children at Thomas Wolsey School had a much bigger surprise when Sir Cliff Richard visited them ahead of his Gaumont show to give the children a special assembly show.
- 1 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 4 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 5 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 6 Suffolk coast flood alert issued including Felixstowe and Ipswich
- 7 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 8 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 9 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 10 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?