Throwback Thursday: Memories from Ipswich in February 1983
- Credit: Archant
Cross country runners, Christchurch Park sledders and Terry Butcher handing out awards all feature in this week’s Throwback Thursday from February 1983.
The snow-covered hills of Christchurch Park were a popular attraction for children and grown-ups alike in February 1983.
Everyone loves a snow day, and while we’ve not had much more than a flurry this winter, the people pictured in this gallery took full advantage of the weather with sledges and wooly hats aplenty.
In the same month, Ipswich Town legend Terry Butcher, who just two years before had won the UEFA cup with Bobby Robson at the helm, made an appearance at Westbourne School to hand out sporting awards to pupils.
Ipswich Mayor Beryl James held a charity ball at the Corn Exchange, which featured a raffle with an assortment of prizes all to raise funds for a good cause.
You may also want to watch:
Cross country runners took over Landseer Park, while pupils from a number of Suffolk schools were treated to playing on the pitch at Portman Road.
Do you recognise anyone in this gallery?
To share your own pictures and memories with us, or to name someone in the photographs, email our picture desk.
- 1 Unex starts work at former Ipswich Debenhams store
- 2 'It was gut wrenching' - Mum's Covid message after son, 12, hospitalised
- 3 Rail services affected after person hit by train
- 4 Kieron Dyer in hospital undergoing tests
- 5 Christmas light DJ to open new Ipswich bar
- 6 Watchdog upholds mother's complaint about handling of son's special education needs
- 7 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 8 'Horror movie script' - Waterfront lounge bar plans rejected again
- 9 60-acre logistic park off A14 approved
- 10 Felixstowe to get £1million 'beach village' with new attractions