Thugs impede crews at nightclub blaze
A FIREFIGHTER today told how crews were left struggling against a bottle-throwing crowd as they tried to get into a nightclub after an arson attack.The fire broke out just before midnight in Liquid, at Cardinal Park, Ipswich, yesterday.
A FIREFIGHTER today told how crews were left struggling against a bottle-throwing crowd as they tried to get into a nightclub after an arson attack.
The fire broke out just before midnight in Liquid, at Cardinal Park, Ipswich, yesterday.
Liquid and nearby Brannigans and Old Orleans were all evacuated – resulting in 400 to 500 people being evacuated.
Fire crews and police had to contain a rowdy crowd, some of whom were chanting and throwing bottles.
You may also want to watch:
Leading firefighter Darren Cooper said: "There was a lot of crowd trouble, bottle-throwing and fighting outside. No firefighters were injured, but there was no way under those conditions that we could have tackled a major fire."
FULL STORY IN TONIGHT'S EVENING STAR
- 1 Two arrested after man assaulted in Ipswich
- 2 'Microshop' selling only American candy opens in Ipswich
- 3 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 4 Criminals confess to nearly 400 offences thanks to specialist police unit
- 5 What are the best curry houses in Ipswich?
- 6 Ipswich tech firm warns of spyware scare on Apple devices
- 7 School in Ipswich takes 'decisive action' to make rapid improvements
- 8 See inside stunning £2m Woodbridge home with 'fantastic leisure complex'
- 9 Can you spot yourself in our Copdock Motorcycle Show gallery?
- 10 Suffolk to miss worst of thunderstorms - but heavy downpours still expected