Ticket sales boom for New Wolsey
RECORD ticket sales at the New Wolsey meant more than 21,000 people saw its latest panto.
RECORD ticket sales at the New Wolsey theatre meant more than 21,000 people saw its latest pantomime.
The new season at the once-troubled theatre has started with news that deserves to be put up in lights – and the Christmas panto was the highest earning show ever to take to its stage.
During its seven week run, with 60 performances during December and January, Aladdin – The Wok 'n' Roll Panto was enjoyed by more than 21,000 people, said the theatre's chief executive, Sarah Holmes.
"Before the show opened we had achieved 50 per cent ticket sales, a lot of which probably came from people who saw our first rock 'n' roll panto, Cinderella, in 2001 and those unable to get tickets last year.
"We extended the run this year from 48 performances to 60 to meet
demand and clearly the demand exists.
- 1 Thousands of cigarettes seized after HMRC officers raid Ipswich stores
- 2 Gambling addict stole £25k from elderly woman she befriended
- 3 New store opens in California fulfilling owner's dream
- 4 Snow possible overnight as 50mph gusts set to arrive in Suffolk
- 5 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 6 'I can’t explain how much it hurt' - mum who lost two children leads bereavement service
- 7 'Definitely worth it' - Late night shoppers turn out in Ipswich
- 8 8 things to do with friends and family in Suffolk this weekend
- 9 Kesgrave GP bookings start online after making appointments proves hard
- 10 County lines dealer jailed for six years for drug offences in Ipswich
"It was a very hectic schedule for the cast but they enjoyed every single performance and were quite sad when it ended on January 25."
Peter Phillips, chairman of the New Wolsey board added: "We are all delighted at the result of Aladdin. It achieved the biggest audience for a single production at this theatre since it opened in 1979.
"Knowing the popularity of this type of show our main spring production, the rock 'n' roll musical Leader of the Pack written and directed by Peter Rowe who was responsible for Aladdin, will undoubtedly be just as popular."
n For more information about the new season visit: www.wolseytheatre.co.uk