Together now for fifty years
CASABLANCA was the hit movie while war raged in the Far East in the year this happy couple married.Leonard and Betty Roberts had known each other for more than five years when they decided to tie the knot on Easter Saturday 1942.
CASABLANCA was the hit movie while war raged in the Far East in the year this happy couple married.
Leonard and Betty Roberts had known each other for more than five years when they decided to tie the knot on Easter Saturday 1942.
The couple had met at the Holy Trinity church in Back Hamlet in the mid 1930s and took part in Sunday school together.
On April 4, 1942, the couple married at the same church and then spent a few days on their honeymoon in London.
You may also want to watch:
The couple, who live in Penshurst Road, Ipswich, have two children, Susan 56 and John, 48 and four grandsons.
Leonard worked for Bull Motors as a test engineer for 52 years, while Betty worked as a medical secretary at the Foxhall Hospital and later at Ipswich Hospital.
- 1 Police release CCTV after wallet stolen from Aldi store in Ipswich
- 2 'Outstanding' former Ipswich teachers leave £2million to charities in will
- 3 Woman's bank cards used minutes after being stolen in supermarket car park
- 4 Aldi looking for new site in north east Ipswich
- 5 Covid rules reintroduced at Ipswich school after cases surge
- 6 'I want to train as HGV driver but there are so many delays'
- 7 Town sign 6ft 5ins striker as Nsiala, Jackson and Barry all start for U23s
- 8 Ipswich man denies multiple rape offences as trial begins
- 9 Ipswich man led police on 55 mile chase at 120mph
- 10 Drunk driver nearly caused head-on crash driving on wrong side of the road
Betty, 81 said that life with Leonard, 83, had been great fun and said that time had gone very quickly.
The couple celebrated their anniversary with a blessing at Holy Trinity church and a family gathering at the church hall.