Together now for fifty years
CASABLANCA was the hit movie while war raged in the Far East in the year this happy couple married.Leonard and Betty Roberts had known each other for more than five years when they decided to tie the knot on Easter Saturday 1942.
CASABLANCA was the hit movie while war raged in the Far East in the year this happy couple married.
Leonard and Betty Roberts had known each other for more than five years when they decided to tie the knot on Easter Saturday 1942.
The couple had met at the Holy Trinity church in Back Hamlet in the mid 1930s and took part in Sunday school together.
On April 4, 1942, the couple married at the same church and then spent a few days on their honeymoon in London.
You may also want to watch:
The couple, who live in Penshurst Road, Ipswich, have two children, Susan 56 and John, 48 and four grandsons.
Leonard worked for Bull Motors as a test engineer for 52 years, while Betty worked as a medical secretary at the Foxhall Hospital and later at Ipswich Hospital.
- 1 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 2 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 3 How Suffolk voted in the county council elections 2021
- 4 Man caught with indecent images of children avoids jail
- 5 Suffolk elections 2021: When to expect results
- 6 Woman in hospital after fire at Ipswich house
- 7 Cyclist suffers injuries after crash in Ipswich
- 8 WATCH: Family of wild foxes caught on camera in Ipswich garden
- 9 New Oasis Lounge bar planned for former Waterfront gym site
- 10 Ipswich primary school goes green for classmate with hearing loss
Betty, 81 said that life with Leonard, 83, had been great fun and said that time had gone very quickly.
The couple celebrated their anniversary with a blessing at Holy Trinity church and a family gathering at the church hall.