Toilet horror at Music Day
PUBLISHED: 11:26 09 July 2001 | UPDATED: 10:18 03 March 2010
A REVELLER at Ipswich's Music Day got the shock of his life when youths tipped over a portable toilet, drenching him in human waste and blue chemicals.
A REVELLER got the shock of his life when youths tipped over a portable toilet, drenching him in human waste and blue chemicals.
The man was trapped in the cubicle as the waste flooded over him and had to be
rescued then attended by ambulance officials at Ipswich Music Day in Christchurch Park yesterday.
The man, believed to be aged in his 20s, had been standing near The Evening Star stage when he went to use a portable toilet.
But onlookers were horrified when two young lads ran up behind the cubicle and pushed it forward. With the door wedged tight against the ground, the man was trapped inside, unable to free himself.
He was trapped for several minutes before other partygoers rescued him, and he emerged covered in blue chemicals from the toilet.
Onlooker James Kindred was nearby when the incident happened, and said: "The toilet was pushed over so that the door was against the ground, and the man had no way of getting out until the people lifted it upright again.
"When they opened the door he was covered in blue chemicals from head to foot.
"As far as I know it is a pretty dangerous chemical that can burn your skin."
Officers from St John Ambulance, based at Samuel Court in Woodbridge Road, were called across the park to the incident, close to the children's wild-west theme adventure playground at about 5pm.
It is believed that the man was not injured and he requested that he be taken straight home instead of going to hospital.
Crowds of people were standing close by at the time of the attack and were sickened at the act, that for some, ruined what had been a brilliant day.
Ipswich Music Day operations manager Jonathan Stephenson said: "The toilet was pushed right over and the man came out absolutely drenched.
"It really spoilt the day for him, we put on a free event with eight stages of music to enjoy and then someone goes and does that.
"The man was very upset and shocked and was more embarrassed than anything.
"We had enough security on site to deal with any problems but the place is so big we can't be everywhere at once."
Was this you, or do you know the man involved? The Evening Star wants to offer a treat to make up for your inconvenience.
Telephone the Star newsdesk on 01473 282257.