Top chef inspires students at Suffolk New College
- Credit: John Nice
A top TV chef came to Suffolk New College in Ipswich to give a culinary masterclass to students.
Daniel Clifford has received two Michelin stars at Midsummer House restaurant in Cambridge, and has appeared on TV cookery programmes, including The Great British Menu.
On his visit, he said: “I might take a couple of students back – this is the start of a journey of them becoming amazing people. Hopefully we will find one absolute diamond that we can poach.”
All the students will now get the chance to gain work experience at his Cambridge eaterie.
This includes Jack Mackay from Ipswich, 17, who was singled out to work with Mr Clifford for a week. Jack said, “I’m delighted to have been given an opportunity to work with a talented chef like Daniel at his restaurant. This can only help me in the future as I would really like to run my own restaurant.”
On being a chef, Mr Clifford said: “I’ve done it for 20 years and as soon as service starts it’s the biggest buzz you will ever get. “I want them (the students) to understand that they are going to be doing this for the next 40 years of their life. I still wake up and love what I do.”
After the masterclass, students served a three-course meal. under Mr Clifford’s guidance, to a paying audience of around 40 people.
- 1 Hank's Deli closes its doors but remembers food bank
- 2 Jailed in Suffolk: The criminals put behind bars this week
- 3 Appeal to find 33-year-old missing man
- 4 Plasterer who stalked ex-girlfriend is handed restraining order
- 5 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 6 Drug addict stole £7,000 from safe at auction house
- 7 Nursing class looking to reunite after four decades
- 8 Matchday Live: Chaplin wins it as Town claim three points
- 9 School's 'greatest ever sporting achievement' could take them to Wembley
- 10 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
Lecturer Chris Martin said: “We would like to thank Daniel for coming along and inspiring our students. We are determined to consistently give our students exceptional experiences. If you study on a sports course, the dream is to play at places like Wembley. Working with an award-winning chef is like scoring a goal in an FA Cup final.”