Top dog celebrates Crufts victory
AN IPSWICH family are celebrating today after one of their dogs beat off stiff competition to be awarded Best of Breed at Crufts.Sammi, a two-year-old Border Collie, was picked out of 422 other dogs of the same breed to be given one of the top titles.
AN IPSWICH family are celebrating today after one of their dogs beat off stiff competition to be awarded Best of Breed at Crufts.
Sammi, a two-year-old Border Collie, was picked out of 422 other dogs of the same breed to be given one of the top titles.
His owners, Sandra and Steve Beaumont, and their 13-year-old son, Adam, attended the prestigious event for pooches, held in Birmingham at the weekend, and were left speechless when the result was announced.
Three of their other dogs also qualified for Crufts and one of them, Gem, also won an early round for best bitch but did not scoop the overall prize.
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Beaumont, 45, of Moore Road, Castle Hill, said: “The judge said that in her opinion, Sammi was the best dog of the day. We were absolutely gobsmacked. We had such a lovely day and it never even occurred to us that we would get first place. We hoped to get a placing but not expecting to win.
“We have had dogs qualify for Crufts before but this is the first time we have had such high honours. It is quite a job even to qualify for Crufts. You have to keep the dogs in good condition and give them a lot of exercise.
- 1 Police want to trace man in connection with Waterfront sexual assault
- 2 Farmfoods set to move in as Aldi confirms closure of store on Ipswich estate
- 3 Man and woman arrested after Ipswich stabbing
- 4 Work finally starts on the Ipswich Garden Suburb after decades of debate
- 5 70-year-old woman arrested in connection with human trafficking offences
- 6 Pair who hid murderer are among trio jailed for running drug syndicate
- 7 Pictures show flooding along Suffolk coast
- 8 Life sentence for Hartshorne-Jones who shot wife dead at home
- 9 Could Ipswich Debenhams become hub for health and leisure?
- 10 Flooding expected near Ipswich Waterfront
“We have had a few wins in other shows but the dogs are first and foremost family pets.”
The title Best of Breed is awarded for the way the dog looks and how it moves.
The family have a total of 12 dogs, all black and white Border Collies. Although they have kept dogs for 20 years, Sammi is a relatively new addition, as he was bought as a puppy from a breeder in Bristol two years ago.
As well as receiving a rosette, certificate and a bottle of wine, they also got to take away a special shield to keep for a year.
Are you proud of your pet? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org