Top honour for Suffolk vet
A SUFFOLK vet is celebrating after beign crowned the UK's vet of the year.Simon Clarke, who has run the Highcliff Veterinary Practice in Ipswich for 25 years, only found out that his staff had nominated him for the award about three weeks ago.
A SUFFOLK vet is celebrating after beign crowned the UK's vet of the year.
Simon Clarke, who has run the Highcliff Veterinary Practice in Ipswich for 25 years, only found out that his staff had nominated him for the award about three weeks ago.
But, at a spectacular ceremony in Birmingham, he lifted the title and scooped £1,000 of Virgin vouchers from the award's sponsors, animal insurers Petplan.
After celebrating the night away with wife Marilyn, Mr Clarke returned to work to find his staff had decorated the surgery.
He said it was a 'pat on the back' for the whole team and added: "It's just beginning to settle in now. Obviously I am absolutely delighted and I feel very honoured."
Mr Clarke, from Stutton, said it had been his life-long ambition to become a vet and said success would not change him.
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 3 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 4 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
- 5 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 6 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 7 Girl, 15, followed by man while walking dog in village near Ipswich
- 8 BT applies to install eight Street Hubs in Ipswich
- 9 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 10 Warehousing units take shape at Ipswich as demand rockets
"I enjoy working with animals and I enjoy working with people. I shall just carry on as normal. I've come back down to earth with a bump anyway, because I am working over the weekend!"