Tories ready to choose Gummer successor
Tory members in the constituency were due to meet today to choose a successor to long-serving MP John Gummer.
SUFFOLK COASTAL: Tory members in the constituency were due to meet today to choose a successor to long-serving MP John Gummer.
A shortlist of three men and three women was drawn up by constituency officers last week and activists are due to make a decision at a special meeting this afternoon at Suffolk Showground, Trinity Park.
The final six include two Suffolk-based Tories. Hugo de Burgh, who lives in Woodbridge, is director of the China Media Centre and professor of journalism at the University of Westminster. He is honorary professor of journalism at Shandong University and has written a book on investigative journalism.
The other candidate with Suffolk connections is Sophie Stanbrook, who is running the election campaign of Mr Gummer's son Ben in Ipswich.
You may also want to watch:
Also shortlisted are Kay Mason, a businesswoman and farmer from Norfolk, Tiu Clark who is a Lincolnshire headteacher, Therese Coffee from Hampshire who works for the BBC, and Nadhim Zahawi, the corporate director of the YouGov polling organisation.
Mr Gummer, who has been a Suffolk MP since 1979, announced shortly after Christmas that he would stand down at the General Election to concentrate on finding a solution to the failed Copenhagen climate change study.
- 1 'An absolute honour' –Ipswich woman crowned Miss Universe Great Britain
- 2 Ipswich's Covid infection rate now the highest in England
- 3 Ipswich market moves as work starts on Botanist restaurant
- 4 Is a new tenant lined up to move into Ancient House in Ipswich?
- 5 'Don't wait' - People urged to get coronavirus booster
- 6 Giant inflatable obstacle course coming to an Ipswich park
- 7 Matchday Recap: Blues cruise to victory at Fratton Park
- 8 Man pulled into car before being beaten and robbed in Ipswich
- 9 Father and son admit keeping banned weapons at Woodbridge home
- 10 Ipswich man saves father-in-law after cardiac arrest at beach day-out
Today's meeting will be moderated by journalist Jonathan Isaby, who is joint editor of the ConservativeHome web site.
Who gets your vote? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail email@example.com