Tory Story -new Ipswich MP gets Lego treatment
IPSWICH: He’s only been the town’s MP for a couple of weeks, but already Ben Gummer is proving to be a Lego-end across the constituency.
A new website has appeared recording the adventures of “Blinky Ben MP” with the tagline: “Because in Ipswich no job is too small.”
Blinky Ben MP is a bright blue Lego figure with ginger hair and glasses – there is no doubt who he is supposed to be!
But the town’s new MP has no quarrel with Blinky Ben MP’s creators.
Mr Gummer said: “I think it’s very funny. You have to have sense of humour in public life and this is very amusing.
You may also want to watch:
“I’m a bit worried that someone has rather too much time on their hands!”
The Lego figures have been taken all over the town – from the hospital, to Chantry High School, the Waterfront, the railway station and the Willis building.
- 1 Documentary on former world’s fattest man Paul Mason set to air
- 2 Drink driver found slumped at wheel after partying until 7am
- 3 Man arrested following Ipswich sexual assault
- 4 Hospital visits to be suspended due to Covid infection rise
- 5 How Ipswich are you? Take our quiz to find out
- 6 'Kind and gentle' retired Ipswich Hospital orthopaedic consultant dies
- 7 Ipswich Flooring Superstore opening brings jobs and investment
- 8 Suffolk police share ridiculous reasons for 999 calls
- 9 Business units set to be converted into new seafront flats
- 10 Ambulance service apologises after woman left lying on Cornhill for 2 hours
Who is behind Blinky Ben MP is a mystery – The Evening Star contacted him through his Twitter page, but only got the slightly curious reply: “Ben’s not sure about talking directly to the press . . . perhaps Ben could answer some questions via e-mail?”
But when we told him he was going to make his debut in the paper he replied: “Blinky Ben MP might like to read about himself in Friday’s Evening Star.” So enjoy the spread Blinky!
His appearances have got other politicians in Ipswich scratching their heads.
I was alerted to him by Labour councillor Alastair Ross who sent me a link to his Twitter site.
Mr Ross said: “I have no idea who is behind this – I think it may be something to do with college students but I don’t know for certain.
“I was at the Waterfront market where that picture was taken – I didn’t see anything. I’d like to know who was behind it to congratulate them!”
n. Have you any idea who is behind Blinky Ben MP? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
n. See page 4 for Ben Gummer’s first Evening Star column