Town Hall back to former glory
MONTHS of hard work was due to come to an end today as the remaining scaffolding is removed from Ipswich Town Hall.Since May the Victorian building has been shrouded in metal while work has been going on to repair its weathered structure.
MONTHS of hard work was due to come to an end today as the remaining scaffolding is removed from Ipswich Town Hall.
Since May the Victorian building has been shrouded in metal while work has been going on to repair its weathered structure.
And more than ten months and £450,000 later the building is finally back to its former glory.
Built back between 1866 and 1868, the town hall has suffered water damage - the steel has rusted and the stone had begun to crumble.
The work was carried out to prevent any further damage to the building. Contractors, Bakers of Danbury had anticipated that in a matter of years debris would begin to fall from its structure causing significant danger to the public.
A council spokesman said: "It is exciting to see the Town Hall restored to
- 1 Three youngsters try to kick down Ipswich family's door
- 2 Face masks to be compulsory in shops and public transport, PM announces
- 3 European store wants to sell alcohol at old Co-op store in Ipswich
- 4 Van driver jailed after A12 crash left motorist with life-changing injuries
- 5 Snow falls in Suffolk overnight as cold snap set to continue
- 6 More than 20 drivers caught at speeds of 100mph on A14 within an hour
- 7 Homes with 'stunning' coastal views by Felixstowe golf club up for sale
- 8 Could American fast food chain Wendy's open a Suffolk restaurant next year?
- 9 Matchday Recap: Outrageous Celina wins to for Town
- 10 New military shop opens in Sailmakers selling Christmas gifts
its former glory. It is one of Ipswich's most famous and important
"We had to carry out this work because public safety is of paramount
importance and it was sensible and cost-effective to clean it at the same
The work included the repair of the clock tower as well as the cleaning of the entire exterior of the building
Now visible on the front of the building are three carved faces - Richard the Lionheart, King John and Cardinal Wolsey.