Town's brewing heritage to come alive

IT'S been hidden away for the past 100 years and now one of the town's brewing heritage has been given a new lease of life.

WATERFRONT: IT'S been hidden away for the past 100 years and now one of the town's brewing heritage has been given a new lease of life.

A permanent exhibition at one of Ipswich's most historic landmarks will now reflect the extensive history of the waterfront.

As part of the extensive refurbishment of the Isaac Lord Quarter, restoration work has been completed to preserve machines used when the maltings industry thrived on the site.

Dating back to the mid-1800s, the machines were an integral part of the Malt Kiln, which is now known as Isaacs bar.

It has taken over two months to complete the work, which has seen the impressive machines restored to their former glory.

One of the machines, a bean kibbler, is situated on the top floor of the Malt Kiln. The machine, driven by a series of belts from the main shaft which was originally powered by steam, and later by a gas engine, crushed the shells of beans so animals could digest them easier.

Most Read

This machine also crushed the oats, which were used to feed the horses working at the Tollemache and Cobbold breweries.

A barley cleaner is another machine included in the recently completed restoration.

Ron Jackman, who restored the machines along with his father, George Hedges, said: “It's taken a lot of work to get the machines back to working order, but we've loved every minute of it. When Aidan, the owner, bought the building he was determined to get the machinery up … much of it hasn't been used for at least 100 years.”

Much of the Isaac Lord Quarter dates back to the 15th Century when the wool industry was booming in East Anglia.

In around 1700, the complex diversified into malting, which led to the construction of a kiln.

Other restoration work taking place in the Issac Lord Quarter includes the Merchant House, which was built in 1636, being transformed into bed and breakfast accommodation.

To arrange a tour of the machinery room call 01473 259952. For more information on Isaacs visit www.isaaclord.org

What do you think of the development at Issacs? Write to Your Letters, Evening Star, 30 Lower Brook Street, Ipswich, IP4 1AN or e-mail eveningstarletters@eveningstar.co.uk