Town star charged with drink driving
IPSWICH Town defender Mark Venus is to appear in court tomorrow charged with drink-driving.The 35-year-old soccer star, who holds the current Ipswich Town Player of the Year title, was arrested on Sunday in Colchester after allegedly driving while over the limit.
IPSWICH Town defender Mark Venus is to appear in court tomorrow charged with drink driving, the East Anglian Daily Times can reveal.
The 35-year-old soccer star, who holds the current Ipswich Town Player of the Year title, was arrested on Sunday in Colchester after allegedly driving while over the limit.
He was released on police bail and will appear at Colchester Magistrates Court tomorrow.
Ipswich Town's chairman David Sheepshanks said: "This is a matter for the police and, if appropriate, any internal action will remain private.
You may also want to watch:
"All our players and senior staff understand that they have a privileged position in society in representing this club."
Venus, who lives in Dedham, near Colchester, joined Ipswich Town in the summer of 1997 after clocking up 287 league games with Wolves.
- 1 'Beautiful inside and out': Tragedy as mum dies 48 hours after giving birth
- 2 More than £23k raised in memory of mum who died 2 days after giving birth
- 3 Woman threatened to expose lorry driver's sexual relationship
- 4 Developers offer first view of 75 new homes near Ipswich
- 5 New walking trail explores 'key role' Suffolk played in Anglo-Saxon history
- 6 What happened to Luke Durbin? Mum's renewed appeal 15 years after teenager vanished in Ipswich
- 7 'Teaching means the world' - school in Ipswich unveils new deputy head
- 8 'Larger-than-life' Ipswich drama teacher Gloria Henshall dies
- 9 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 10 Thieves use bank cards after stealing rucksack from Ipswich doorstep
He made his football debut at his home-town club Hartlepool United in the 1984/85 season before moving on to Leicester City, where he spent three seasons.
Throughout last year's Premiership season, Venus excelled and was awarded a series of accolades from Town fans, team-mates and sponsors and box-holders.
A spokesman for Essex Police said: "We can confirm that a 35-year-old man was arrested for drink driving on November 10.
"He was charged and bailed to appear before Colchester Magistrates' Court on 14th November.
"According to our policy we would not name the person in these circumstances."
Essex Crown Prosecution Service also confirmed a man had been charged with drinking and driving after he was arrested on November 10 in Colchester. A spokesman added the man would be appearing at Colchester Magistrates' Court.