Traffic chaos after man's lucky escape
A MANGLED mountain bike by the side of the road marked an incredible escape for a young cyclist.The 20-year-old cyclist escaped with minor injuries after he was involved in a smash with a van in Grimwade Street.
A MANGLED mountain bike by the side of the road marked an incredible escape for a young cyclist.
The 20-year-old cyclist escaped with minor injuries after he was involved in a smash with a van in Grimwade Street.
Emergency services rushed to the scene at about 8.30am today after a passer-by reported the accident.
But despite initial reports of possibly severe injuries, ambulance crews found little more than a suspected broken leg.
You may also want to watch:
Police quickly set up a roadblock at the scene near the junction with busy St Helen's Street.
It caused yet more traffic misery for rush-hour commuters after the earlier shunt in Star Lane.
- 1 Labour lose seats but retain power: Ipswich election results in full
- 2 Kesgrave shooting: Trial date agreed as boy faces attempted murder charge
- 3 See inside beautiful stately home near Ipswich - for one day only
- 4 First views of £1.5m new seafront cafe as hoardings removed
- 5 Election 2021: Ipswich Borough Council results
- 6 Van's roof torn off as it gets stuck under Suffolk bridge
- 7 Driver faces court after BMW clocked at 110mph on A14
- 8 Tories retain Suffolk County Council control - but Greens make huge gains
- 9 Bookings now open for unique new Suffolk dining experience
- 10 A weekend of potential departures as Town finish up their disappointing season
Some commuters were reporting journey times of up to an hour for a trip normally taking only 20 minutes.
A policeman at the scene said it was too early to speculate about the causes of the smash, although he said it looked like a fairly typical bike accident.
The cyclist, who has not been named, was taken to Ipswich Hospital, but ambulance crews confirmed he was not seriously injured.
Traffic jams had already built up in Ipswich town centre after a shunt left a woman needing hospital treatment.
She was taken to Ipswich Hospital after a crash between a Vauxhall Cavalier and a Rover left her with minor head injuries.
Traffic ground to a halt at the busy junction between Fore Street and Star Lane when the two cars collided.
An ambulance and a rapid response vehicle attended the scene after a call at about 7.10am.