Overturned lorry closes A14 between Felixstowe and Ipswich
- Credit: NSRAPT
The westbound carriageway of the A14 between Felixstowe and Ipswich has been closed after a lorry overturned.
National Highways said on Twitter the road had been shut between junctions 58 and 59, approaching the Seven Hills roundabout, after a collision shortly before 6am this morning.
A Suffolk police spokesman confirmed an HGV had tipped over and officers were at the scene.
Three fire crews and the ambulance service were also called to the incident.
Motorists are being advised to take a diversion route off junction 59 through Trimley St Martin and Levington to reach the Seven Hills roundabout.
The Norfolk and Suffolk Roads & Armed Policing Team later confirmed the driver of the lorry managed to climb out of the cab with the help of firefighters.
A man who was travelling from Ipswich to Felixstowe said: "The cab was still attached to the load, but has crashed right through the trees on the side of the carriageway.
- 1 Orwell Bridge could be affected after snow and high winds forecast
- 2 Christmas shopper fined £187 after car 'trapped' for two days in Ipswich
- 3 Five Suffolk schools in top Covid tier due to high infection rates
- 4 Man taken to hospital after being stabbed in chest and arms
- 5 Is this the cheapest house for sale in Suffolk?
- 6 Teenager charged after boy attacked in Ipswich churchyard
- 7 Teenager found almost a month after being reported missing
- 8 Two arrested on suspicion of child neglect after child, 2, dies
- 9 Care worker accused of fraud made post it note mix up
- 10 Sadye, 52, tells of brain cancer ordeal as friend raises funds
"Traffic is very heavy — there are queues of lorries stretching back to the Dock Spur roundabout."
For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Suffolk traffic map.
Join our Suffolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Suffolk.