Overturned lorry closes A14 between Felixstowe and Ipswich
- Credit: NSRAPT
The westbound carriageway of the A14 between Felixstowe and Ipswich has been closed after a lorry overturned.
National Highways said on Twitter the road had been shut between junctions 58 and 59, approaching the Seven Hills roundabout, after a collision shortly before 6am this morning.
A Suffolk police spokesman confirmed an HGV had tipped over and officers were at the scene.
Three fire crews and the ambulance service were also called to the incident.
Motorists are being advised to take a diversion route off junction 59 through Trimley St Martin and Levington to reach the Seven Hills roundabout.
The Norfolk and Suffolk Roads & Armed Policing Team later confirmed the driver of the lorry managed to climb out of the cab with the help of firefighters.
A man who was travelling from Ipswich to Felixstowe said: "The cab was still attached to the load, but has crashed right through the trees on the side of the carriageway.
- 1 Ipswich residents' frustration over parking chaos
- 2 Firefighters called to Ipswich house fire
- 3 Baby and toddler retailer Mamas & Papas set for Ipswich return
- 4 Long delays on A14 near Ipswich after police called to hole in the road
- 5 Man detained after early morning incident in Ipswich road
- 6 'Severe' delays on A12 outside Ipswich after crash closes road
- 7 Boy, 14, arrested after serious sex attack in Suffolk town is released
- 8 Man who stole over £1,000 in power tools jailed for 876 days
- 9 Tree works to begin after residents left 'fed up' for two years
- 10 Suffolk's top 10 fish and chip shops as voted by our readers - now pick a winner
"Traffic is very heavy — there are queues of lorries stretching back to the Dock Spur roundabout."
For up-to-date information about the county's roads, visit our LIVE Suffolk traffic map.
Join our Suffolk Travel Information group on Facebook for all the latest traffic news in Suffolk.