A14 set to be closed for several more hours after 200-litre diesel spill
- Credit: Sarah Lucy Brown
A 200-litre oil spill will mean part of the A14 at Felixstowe will remain shut for several more hours, according to police.
The spillage from a lorry happened at the Dock Spur roundabout, near Felixstowe, at about 1.35pm on Thursday.
The road is currently closed westbound between J60 at Dockspur Roundabout and J59 for the Howlett Way Roundabout.
Another lane is also closed between J61 and J60.
A spokesman for Suffolk police said that the closure could last another three or four hours at least.
One motorist stuck in the surrounding gridlock said: "It was mayhem trying to get through Walton, especially with HGVs on top of the back to school traffic.
"Thankfully things eased once we reached Trimley, but I'm sure it made for a stressful return to the school run for a lot of parents."
Highways England updated its guidance on Thursday night and said that due to the severity of the spill, it has been confirmed that resurfacing works will be required.
- 1 Teenager arrested after man suffers cut to neck on Ipswich estate
- 2 Meet the strongest 40+ English woman, a teacher from Ipswich
- 3 More than 500 pupils test positive for Covid since start of term
- 4 Roadworks held up by parked Mini
- 5 Anger at parking fines for butcher, barber and carpet fitter shoppers
- 6 Chris Louis big Q&A: What now for the Witches? What now for speedway?
- 7 Suspect in Victoria Hall murder 'remains under investigation'
- 8 Trinity Park fireworks festival to return after successful first year
- 9 New 'microhomes' for rough sleepers in Ipswich to be unveiled
- 10 Man sent obscene online messages to two 'decoy' schoolgirls while on drugs
Police have issued the following diversion route, but many motorists are reporting that the town is in complete gridlock.
- Exit the A14 at the J60 Dockspur Roundabout and take the 2nd exit onto the A154 Candlet Road.
- Continue until the roundabout with Grove Road and then take the 2nd exit.
- Continue on the A154 until the signalised junction with High Road West.
- At the junction, turn right and continue along High Road West, High Street and High Road.
- After Trimley, take the 2nd exit at the roundabout and re-join the A14 westbound at J59.