Huge abnormal load to close Orwell Bridge as it heads down A14
- Credit: Suffolk Highways
There are delays expected in Suffolk this morning as a massive abnormal load makes its way through the county and up to Cambridgeshire.
The load is a 184 tonne electrical transformer for the National Grid and is being moved from Cliff Quay in Ipswich up to a substation in Burwell, Cambridgeshire.
It measure 6.67m long, 5.35 m wide and 4.67m high.
Preparations have been underway to make sure the load passes easily through the region.
Importantly, the Orwell Bridge will be closed at 9am for 30 minutes as the transformer passes over.
You may also want to watch:
Suffolk Highways have also removed some road signs on Landseer Road and Nacton Road in Ipswich, as well as the A142 Fordham Road, Newmarket.
Once it reaches the west of the county, lanes on the A14 at Newmarket will briefly close to let the load cross over the westbound to eastbound carriageway for the A142 slip road.
- 1 Pub demolition plans generate 150-plus objections in a week
- 2 Man in hospital with serious injuries after Suffolk stabbing
- 3 Citroën driver taken to hospital after car comes off road
- 4 Patient in 90s will fight Ipswich Hospital parking fine
- 5 WATCH: Former policeman given blue light salute during 24-hour marathon
- 6 Mapped: Number of places recording Covid cases doubles in last week
- 7 Do you remember having a pint at Ipswich's Sporting Farmer pub?
- 8 Return of live music to continue with one-day Ipswich festival
- 9 Ipswich Town transfer rumour: Blues linked with 'ambitious move' for striker
- 10 Village in uproar as primary school attempts to change historic logo
Suffolk Highways will be issuing updates on the transformer's location throughout the day on Twitter.
Some rough timings of the load's proposed location have been released but these could fluctuate throughout the day.
Rough timings have been released, but drivers are warned they are highly likely to fluctuate.
- 8am: Leave Ipswich Port
- 9.30am: Cross Orwell Bridge
- 4pm: A14 Crossover
- 6pm: Navigate Burwell
- 8pm: Arrive at Substation
The route is:
1. In reverse, exit Cliff quay onto Cliff Road
2. In reverse, turn into Toller Road then Holywells Road. Pull forward onto Landseer Road
3. Negotiate Nacton Road to A1198
4. Negotiate A1198 to A14
5. Negotiate A14 Eastbound
6. Cross the Orwell Bridge (A14)
7. Negotiate A14 Westbound
8. Negotiate A1120 Stowmarket
9. Negotiate A1308 Stowmarket
10. Continue on A14 for 10.3 miles
11. Exit A14 at junction 44
12. Exit A14 at junction 43
13. Exit A14 at junction 42
14. Negotiate A14 Eastbound carriageway in wrong direction under Police rolling roadblock.
15. Negotiate A14 onto A142.
16. Negotiate A142
17. Station Road - B1102
18. High Street, Burwell
19. Reach Road, Burwell
20. Burwell Substation