Delays expected in Ipswich as police escort 59-tonne boat
- Credit: Archant
Motorists have been warned to expect delays in Ipswich on Thursday morning as police escort a 59-tonne boat to the waterfront.
Officers from Suffolk police will help to escort the 24.8m long boat through the town tomorrow, as the 5.2m wide load completes its journey from Oundle in Northamptonshire.
The boat will enter Suffolk via the A14 at Newmarket, before leaving the dual carriageway to join the A1308 and B1113 through Needham Market and Bramford.
It will then join the A1071 and enter Ipswich via London Road and West End Road, through to Bridge Street and Haven Marina.
Alternatively, police say the boat may be escorted via Hadleigh Road due to roadworks.
You may also want to watch:
The escort will begin at the Cambridgeshire border at 9am, although police have not provided a timeframe for when it is due to arrive in Ipswich.
Overall, the boat measures 5.2m wide, 5.9m high, 24.8m long and weighs 59,000kg.
- 1 New cocktail bar and tapas restaurant to open in Ipswich
- 2 CCTV issued after thieves steal almost £900 in toys and food from B&M
- 3 Car ends up on side after crash involving parked car
- 4 Ipswich Town reveal full retained list as six first-teamers get extended stays and eight depart
- 5 Search for man after girl, 10, accosted at B&M store in Stowmarket
- 6 Vandals strike at beautiful stately home near Ipswich during restoration
- 7 Pub owner on how 'amazing' community support helped venue survive
- 8 Mark Heath: The Town players Cook should keep and release today
- 9 Meet the Ipswich 18-year-old who is now one of UK's youngest politicians
- 10 Town take up contract options on duo with plenty of departures still expected