Orwell Bridge might close because of Storm Christoph
- Credit: Archant
The Orwell Bridge may be forced to close tomorrow as Storm Christoph blows through Suffolk.
An amber weather warning is in place for rain across the north east of the country today and tomorrow while a yellow weather warning is in place in the west and further north.
Though the worst of the storm is set to avoid the East of England, high winds are still forecast in Suffolk.
Highways England has confirmed the bridge may close on Wednesday night between 8pm and 3am on Thursday.
It tweeted earlier today saying: "We've had an updated forecast and the risk period is now between Wednesday 2000 to 0300 Thursday.
"Wind gusts are forecast to be above the threshold and in a crosswind direction. We will update you tomorrow PM with the decision to close or not #StormChristoph."
- 1 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 2 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 Man with foot fetish jailed for sexually assaulting women
- 5 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 6 Wallet and cash stolen as two more cars have windows smashed in in Ipswich
- 7 Police warning after Suffolk driver speeds at 126mph
- 8 Delays on Orwell Bridge after fire crews called to 'smoke coming from vehicle'
- 9 Dog rescued from flat fire
- 10 Major road into Ipswich partially blocked after three-vehicle crash