Orwell Road closed after sinkhole opens up in Felixstowe
- Credit: Richard Cornwell
Traffic is facing diversions in one of Felixstowe's busiest streets after a sinkhole opened up in the road.
The deep hole in the middle of Orwell Road was spotted on Friday and immediately reported to highways.
Officers attended the scene and have closed off a section of the road in both directions near St John's Church.
They have covered the hole outside the convent with a heavy duty plastic barricade and cordoned off the affected area until full repairs can be arranged.
Motorists are facing diversions via Princes Road, Victoria Road and Garfield Road.
Similar holes have previously opened up on other streets around the town - usually because water has eroded material beneath the surface, causing the road to cave in.
- 1 Teenager 'kicked and punched' by man during Ipswich assault
- 2 Cyclist left with 'potentially life-changing injuries' after Ipswich crash
- 3 Tragic loss of 'kind and gentle' Aayush at 17 devastated family
- 4 'I slept at the store' - Teen queues for 14 hours as Tim Hortons opens
- 5 Appeal to trace driver after cyclist knocked unconscious in crash
- 6 Thatch roof of cottage 'fully alight' in village near Needham Market
- 7 Man, 25, threatened to kill ex-partner with wrench, court hears
- 8 CCTV appeal after cash stolen from ATM dispensing tray at Ipswich store
- 9 Five-bedroom home with 'beautiful countryside views' on market for £800K
- 10 Man dragged former partner from car and kicked her in assault