Orwell Road closed after sinkhole opens up in Felixstowe
- Credit: Richard Cornwell
Traffic is facing diversions in one of Felixstowe's busiest streets after a sinkhole opened up in the road.
The deep hole in the middle of Orwell Road was spotted on Friday and immediately reported to highways.
Officers attended the scene and have closed off a section of the road in both directions near St John's Church.
They have covered the hole outside the convent with a heavy duty plastic barricade and cordoned off the affected area until full repairs can be arranged.
Motorists are facing diversions via Princes Road, Victoria Road and Garfield Road.
You may also want to watch:
Similar holes have previously opened up on other streets around the town - usually because water has eroded material beneath the surface, causing the road to cave in.
- 1 Road reopens after crash in Ipswich street
- 2 Man in his 80s seriously injured after crash near Copdock
- 3 Where are Suffolk’s outstanding schools?
- 4 People with these surnames in Suffolk could be owed a fortune
- 5 60 sausage dogs enjoy picnic in Ipswich's Christchurch Park
- 6 Valley Ridge ski resort in jeopardy amid furious row over landfill site
- 7 Mapped: Suffolk postcodes with lowest level of Covid cases
- 8 Man arrested over Cardinal Park stabbing
- 9 Revealed: Suffolk's most viewed homes for sale in July
- 10 Did you go to Ipswich's Festival of Wheels? Spot yourself in our gallery