Orwell Bridge speed warning ahead of high wind forecast
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
A 40mph may be introduced on the Orwell Bridge tomorrow as a "worst case scenario" as strong winds are forecasted for the region.
Winds of up to 65mph are expected to hit some parts of Suffolk tomorrow, as a yellow weather warning has been issued.
A tweet from National Highways said: "We have had a forecast for high gusts tomorrow between 4pm and 9pm.
"This will result in a speed restriction to 40mph as the worst case scenario based on current forecasts.
"We will update you again tomorrow morning before 11am."
Previously, the Orwell Bridge would have had to close to all traffic to protect high-sided vehicles from gusts as they travel over the bridge.
But new equipment, which allows officials to lower the speed limit temporarily, has been brought in this year - greatly reducing the amount of times the bridge will have to close.
- 1 Look inside stunning £950k home close to Christchurch Park in Ipswich
- 2 Lorry overturned on roundabout closes A14 near Felixstowe
- 3 A14 reopens after 'serious' crash involving three lorries
- 4 Road closed while fire crews tackle Martlesham blaze
- 5 Ladies night event in Kesgrave with strippers sold-out in five days
- 6 Motorist angry over £100 'fine' at Ipswich car park
- 7 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 8 A12 partially reopens after crash near Copdock Interchange
- 9 Retired Felixstowe nurse fears eviction after struggle to find social housing
- 10 Did you know these 10 pubs were open in Ipswich?